Auto-Edit: Can it be turned off, please?

I’m getting a little tired of when I quote someone’s post that isn’t terribly long and my post gets auto-edited to remove the quote. I quote those for a reason, you know! Is there any way to turn that functionality off?

6 Likes

I think it only does that when your post follows directly after the one you’re quoting. To make threads cleaner looking, I guess.

2 Likes

True

But if you only do a partial quote (like I just did), it’ll leave that be.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve discovered if I leave off the last bit of punctuation, the forum won’t “help” by removing the quote. It is bloody annoying though.

3 Likes

It kinda makes sense though, right? If my post quotes the post immediately above it, that is a bit redundant. I’d be fine if it was switched off, but I can see the thinking behind it.

2 Likes

But when a reply is right below, the “this is what I replied to” indicator also doesn’t show so it’s extra unclear if it’s a reply to a reply or a reply to the main post.

7 Likes

I’m replying to one of you. Can you tell who? I’m not touching you!

2 Likes

Good point. The problem must exist for other forums as well, but it probably doesn’t help that everything here is a “reply” to something else. I think turning off the auto-editing might indeed be the best solution.

3 Likes

Pro-tip: When you quote all of someone’s comment, you’ll see this:

[quote=“Brina, post:1, topic:18296, full:true”]
I’m getting a little tired of when I quote someone’s post that isn’t terribly long and my post gets auto-edited to remove the quote. I quote those for a reason, you know! Is there any way to turn that functionality off?
[/quote]

If you remove the full:true, the post will not be elided, e.g.:

I quoted McCloud in full here and (he said hopefully) the full quote remains.

7 Likes

Ah. That explains the problem I’ve been having. I use the reply button so the person knows I responded and others can see that it is a direct response. Sometimes, even though the new post is directly below the one I’m replying to, the fact that it is a direct reply is relevant context. It’s been frustrating to see that indicator repeatedly stripped away without warning.

2 Likes

Quoting something will add back the context, unless you quote it all. Then it’ll be stripped again and you have to edit and re quote again.

1 Like

Yup. I tried quoting people for that exact reason and just had it auto edited out of my reply. So I had to go edit the post to make it make sense again. As much as I ever make sense, anyway.

1 Like

Leave out a character (such as a period) when you quote the post above. Then the software will leave it in place.

3 Likes

Not sure encouraging people to change what’s quoted is an ideal programming system. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I wholly agree!

1 Like

Me too!

2 Likes

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes