Autograph Collecting

I missed getting his autograph… but got something a little bit better.

Some friends and I went to his show (this was… 2000?.. Running with Scissors had been out for a li’l while) which was a bit of a struggle as one friend was recovering from a really haggard motorcycle accident. His significant other and young kid came along, mostly to try and have a fun night together and put the accident behind all of them for at least one night.

Anyway… great show and a lot of laughs and then, during the last song, someone with the venue came over and asked us to stay in our seats. We figured it had to do with the assistance my friend was gonna need when leaving. But, shortly after the place was emptied, here comes Weird Al.

The face on friend’s kid lit up like a Xmas tree. We chatted some but Al never mentioned the injury until the kid pointed it out. He asked some questions, was really considerate about it. Then the kid asked if Al could help and reached out, took his hands, and gently placed them where their dad was hurt. Al smiled. Kept his hands in place a good while.

That friend fully recovered. Maybe Al had something to do with it.

10 Likes