Autograph Collecting

I don’t have any Cheap Trick autographs, but I took a rock and roll history class in college and Rick Nielsen’s son was in the class and got his father to come in as a guest speaker. That was pretty cool.

3 Likes

Don’t have any pictures - but aside from autographs from the Cinematic Titanic cast, these are a few memorable ones…

• Jim Zorn, Seahawks quarterback, that he gave to my late sister. He was visiting the children’s hospital, and she was very excited to have met and received an autograph from this (in her words) “baseball” player (the memory of that still makes me laugh because he played football, but she didn’t know one way or the other, she was just happy that someone famous visited her)

• Stan Lee during the last year he did comic cons

• Steve McNair, Eddie George, and other Tennesee Titans - I used to visit training camp, and the players would sign autographs after practice. I have several autograph footballs filled with names, some were stars, others were cut before the season started.

• George Takei - I worked a booth at a small con, and he took time before the doors opened to visit and look over the tables and sign and have pics taken, which was very cool since we had to work and couldn’t go stand in lines for autographs.

• Arch Hall Jr. - signed CD

I also have books signed by Lee Child (Jack Reacher), Patricia Hitchcock, and cartoonist Gary Larson

4 Likes

A Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) 8x10 signed by Alice Cooper, C.J. Graham, and Director Tom McCloughlin, an Aliens (1986) Laserdisc box signed by Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Mark Rolston, Jenette Goldstein, Carrie Henn, and Ricco Ross, a Batman (1989) 12x18 signed by Danny Elfman and Michael Keaton signed for my best friend Matthew, a Jean-Claude Van Damme signed Universal Soldier (1992) 12x18 for Matthew, a Jean-Claude Van Damme signed Sudden Death (1995) 12x18 for myself, and a True Lies (1994) original 27x40 poster signed and quoted by Tom Arnold.

5 Likes

I splurged at the last con I went to:

3 Likes

A Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 12x18 signed by John Ashton and Ronny Cox, a Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) 12x18 signed by Corey Feldman, a Gremlins (1984) 11x14 signed by Corey Feldman, a 12x18 of A Nightmare of Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) signed by Robert Englund and Christopher Young, a Top Gun (1986) 11x14 signed and quoted by James Tolkan, a Hellraiser (1987) ensemble 12x18 signed by Clive Barker, Christopher Young, Doug Bradley, Sean Chapman, and Claire Higgins, a Peter Weller signed Robocop (1987) prop, an original Clerks (1994) 27x40 signed by Jason Mewes, Brian O’Halloran, and Jeff Anderson, a Copycat (1995) 12x18 signed by Christopher Young, and a Scream (1996) ensemble 8x10 signed by Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Skeet Ulrich, Jamie Kennedy, Matthew Lillard, Rose McGowan, Joseph Whipp, and Roger L. Jackson.

6 Likes

Wow, I’ll have to go digging… most of the ones I’ve personally collected are pro golfers from the Memorial Tournament and a handful of writers I’ve bumped into at conventions (and of course the Brains from ConventioCon 2). When I’m more awake tomorrow, I’ll see what I can find. The only ones within eyeshot right now are a Bavarian Illuminati card from Illuminati: New World Order signed by Steve Jackson (there’s one for the gamers) and a tour poster signed by Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh.

I have a glass-top coffee table protecting several – Bill Clinton, Timothy Leary, Kurt Vonnegut, and I can’t remember the others off the top of my head. The first two I collected personally, the third was a gift.

4 Likes

Kurt Vonnegut…nice, nice, nice.

1 Like

Marianne Faithfull signed her set sheet for me at a meet’n’greet after her show at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA during her “20th Century Blues” tour. Think that was about 1996/7.

Jeesh. A quarter of a century ago. She was so awesome. She had changed into a red crushed velvet pant suit after the show, and when I asked her “Is that Tom Ford?” she was SO PLEASED TO SAY YES!

7 Likes

I don’t really get the autograph thing, but that BTTF poster is AMAZING.

1 Like

Here’s a couple of my favorites and key ones.

Kurt Vonnegut:

The Doctor is IN! (and I couldn’t keep the reflection of me out of it, sorry)

The one and only Firesign Theatre:

The Mads, their own selves!

The I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue team – hands down the funniest half hour in radio anywhere. And I’m still on the prowl for something signed by Willie Rushton to add to this…

8 Likes

And a couple more. All but Phil’s were collected myself.

Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh:

Timothy Leary – gotten after a panel at WorldCon (Chicon V) with Leary, Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea, and Philip José Farmer. Cue maximal weirdness now.

Bill Clinton, the Friday before the 1992 election when he was still Mr Bill and not President Bill.

John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, gotten during a power outage that fell in the middle of a show in Columbus in October 2001

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s something I had an interest in early on. When I was 8, I met cartoonist Jim Davis and he signed my drawing of Garfield. If only I knew where that was. A decade ago a speciality Blu-Ray label Twilight Time kicked out monthly signed versions of their releases. Fright Night (1985), Journey to the Center of the Earth (1957), The Blob (1988), Salvador (1986), Hard Times (1975), The Driver (1978), Heaven & Earth (1993), U-Turn (1997). I bought them all and that started it. I so love movies having a piece of that history matters to me. I won’t go after just anything though if the flick is special and a classic then I might consider it. Here’s a few of my TTs.

These signatures are Oliver Stone, Walter Hill, Bob Gale, Oliver Stone, William Shatner, and Tom Atkins. The last two are customs. I went to conventions and had Bill and Tom sign those two booklets like a TT signing to match the others.

2 Likes

It is always fun to try and spot the differences between when Linnell signs his own name and when Flansburgh signs it for him.

2 Likes

WOW DO I MISS TWILIGHT TIME!!! They were the BEST. I bought a couple dozen of their releases before they sadly went belly up.

1 Like

I was one of their most vocal fans. Enough to where people began complaining about me on other forums. More because people didn’t understand their business model and I would defend them against complaints that were unfounded.

The people who signed are Lou Diamond Phillips, Oliver Stone, Diane Baker, Eric Roberts, Chuck Russell, and Walter Hill.

1 Like

These are amazing! As something of an antisocial recluse, I generally have zero interest in actively seeking out other people’s signatures (especially if you’re paying a bunch of money to wait in line for half an hour or purchasing the signature of someone you’ve never met on eBay) but I will make an exception for authors, playwrights and artists!

I do! And I’ve got his signature too! On my copy of Robot Comics #0, if I remember correctly.
I got David Boswell’s as well on an issue of Reid Fleming: World’s Toughest Milkman. Both are in a long box at the very bottom of the comic book closet though, and I don’t feel like shifting 30 years of comic collecting to get at them.

Also buried down at the bottom is a copy of Alan Moore’s very first work Maxwell, the Magic Cat (pictured here for reference only), which he must have signed pretty early on in his career, since I believe he’s too grumpy and Alan Moore-y to sign anything now. I can’t take credit for obtaining that one though. I just happened to walk into one of those “Antique” shops that are mostly random crap run by little old ladies in their retirement, and there all three issues were… sitting in a pile with a bunch of Mad Magazines, National Lampoon, and other random funny mags from the mid 80’s. They were something like $5 for the full set, so of course I snatched them up instantly. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized they were signed too, with a cat doodle similar to the one shown below (not mine).
image image

In terms of signatures I was able to obtain myself, I was lucky enough to meet Brian Michael Bendis way back around 2000 or so when he was just this unknown guy doing cool crime fiction using photocopiers to create a cool ashcan effect. I think I got him to sign my copy of the original Fire graphic novel as well. I actually got to chat with him for a little while about his art technique since there was basically nobody at his table, and everybody else was waiting in line to see Liefeld or some other big-name wanker.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think Oeming might have been at the same con too with Bulletproof Monk. Unfortunately, I didn’t know who he was at the time.

I’ve also got Douglas Adams:

Clive Barker:

Chuck Palahniuk

Bruce Campbell (who liked my hat)

I’ve also pretty sure I’ve got one of the Discworld novels signed by Terry Pratchett (I bought it second hand, sadly I never got to meet the man) and possibly a signed Neil Gaiman (same situation)

And on the bookshelf currently inaccessible behind the Christmas tree, a signed copy of Charles Busch’s stageplay for Red Scare on Sunset, (most people know them from the movie/plays Psycho Beach Party and Die, Mommy, Die!) Garrison Keillor’s Lake Wobegon Days (the first author I met at age 10), and Joe Bob Briggs Joe Bob Foes to the Drive-In.

4 Likes

Happy to find a fellow TT collector. They put their heart and soul into their titles. The selection of films, the Julie Kirgo essays, their isolated musical scores, their covers. They filled a gap other labels ignored. Hollywood classics, unheard of rarities, and genre movies Criterion and the studios didn’t have the time to cover.

The names are Earl Holliman, Shirley Jones, Nancy Kwan, Elliott Silverstein, and Judy Geeson.

1 Like

Escape from New York is one of my all-time favorite movies and that autographed poster is really cool! Love the “heard you were dead” Adrienne Barbeau auto!

1 Like

Linnell stayed up in the green room, alas, so I couldn’t get both Johns on my ticket. The place was pretty empty (campus venue so most just went back to their dorms until the show re-commenced) so I had Flans to myself for a couple minutes, which was neat.

1 Like

That happens a lot. I’ve only ever directly encountered Linnell off-stage at a book signing and an industry event. The rest of the time, Flans handles it. I dug a few out of my collection if you want to see the evolution of the signatures over the years.

3 Likes