Autograph Collecting

I’ve got a lot of random things from cons and concerts…I have all of the Star Trek TOS cast, all of Babylon 5, most of Firefly, and a healthy smattering of other signatures (my David Carradine is one of my faves). Some authors, singers, and sports figures; I have the entire first team of Louisville City FC on a vuvuzela.

But out of all of them, my most sentimental is probably Tony Bourdain. I was at VIP during a stop on his tour and I brought a first edition copy of his fiction book Bone In The Throat. He was very surprise to see a first run copy…”I haven’t seen one of these in forever!” We then proceeded to talk about bookstores for a few moments.

Totally still bummed he’s gone.

5 Likes

Oh, and one other book…if you know, you know. I got to know him pretty well through First Fandom.

3 Likes

I realize my collection is hefty in quality. I have an autographed poster of one of the MST3K screening tour stops, Tarantino on a Django Unchained poster, Kevin Smith Red State DVD autographed, the cast of Firefly, quite a few from Buffy and Angel (especially SMG and Boreanaz), lots from Doctor Who…and the autographed Colossal Episode Guide.
OH, and a signed Incredibles shirt (framed, natch) with Bill Bird.

2 Likes

Uff, I knew I forgot something – my Doctor Who 25th Anniversary book signed by Jon Pertwee and Sylvester McCoy, Frasier Hines, Katy Manning and Sophie Aldred, and most of UNIT except the Brigadier (which is to say, Richard Franklin and John Levene).

And Tom Baker’s The Boy who Kicked Pigs, signed by the author.

7 Likes

I have the 20th anniversary book, with autographs of Two, Three, Five, Six and Seven, plus the Brig and Master II (also Sarah Jane, Zoe and Jo)
Oh, and I also have Baker, Tennant and Capaldi’s autographs…and Captain Jack)

3 Likes

Considering what a massive Doctor Who fan I am, I only have a single autograph from any of the cast, which I obtained from Jon Pertwee back in the 80’s, the one and only time the “USA Tour” blew through my home town of Sacramento. Of course, this was when I was about 7 years old, and the book I had him sign was my already extremely beat up copy of the Five Doctors Target novelization, and it only got more destroyed from there. I think at one point the spine just gave up and half the pages fell out, so the whole thing is held together with Elmer’s glue and sellotape.

I’m not even quite sure where it is at the moment… Probably sitting in the bottom of my mom’s hope chest with a bunch of other books I read to death as a child.

2 Likes

Crap, now you reminded ME that I have Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy’s autographs; I knew I’d forgotten some important ones.

2 Likes

I don’t collect but I do have a Japanese copy of the Dreamcast game Rez signed by legendary producer Mizuguchi Tetsuya. He was also behind Sega Rally, Space Channel 5 and recently Tetris Effect

6 Likes

A Night of the Living Dead (1968) Elite DVD signed by Judith O’Dea, Russell Streiner, John Russo, Judith Ridley, Krya Schon, Rick Catizone, Richard Ricci, and Paula Richards, a Night (1968) 8x10 signed by George A. Romero and George Kosana, an Exorcist (1973) 8x10 signed by William Friedkin, an Anchor Bay Blu of Dawn of the Dead (1978) signed by Ken Foree, Gaylen Ross, Scott Reiniger, and Tom Savini, a dust cover of The Burning (1981) signed by Bonnie Rich, Shelley Bruce, and Lou David, an E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial (1982) Blu signed by Dee Wallace and Henry Thomas, a Blu of Day of the Dead (1985) signed by Lori Cardille and Sherman Howard, two shots of a 12x18 of Delta Force (1986) signed by Chuck Norris, a Stakeout (1987) 12x18 signed by Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez for my buddy, a Robocop (1987) 12x18 signed by Dr. Peter Weller, Ronny Cox, and Ray Wise, a Brendan Fraser signed print of his various roles, an In The Line of Fire (1993) 12x18 signed by Tobin Bell, and my The Rock (1996) Laserdisc signed so far by William Forsythe and Michael Biehn.

received_313304517128284

5 Likes

That’s awesome! Such a good game.

3 Likes

I have quite a few autographs. I started with the actors from Farscape and Xena when I went to those cons. Lately, I’ve expanded and gone into the Doctor Who deep end and was absolutely thrilled when I got my Tom Baker signed picture to add to my collection.

5 Likes

Oh, and how could I ever forget my Mark Hamill autographed lightsaber? It was a super rare chance to get one when he appeared in Dallas so I made absolute sure I got to get one.
saber

7 Likes

That’s a great story! I was blown away years later, when I found out that she did a vocal track with Metallica on The Memory Remains, which would have been recorded around that time.

1 Like

Just remembered three more that I have (although I couldn’t find two of them if you asked me) -

Penn Jillette - Gotten at a live Penn and Teller show
Davy Jones (of the Monkees) - Gotten at The Real Live Brady Bunch show
John Landis - Guest of my father’s at a university conference. Signed the American Werewolf in London page in my Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film. He also showed it to a bunch of students and then got up afterwards and said, “I haven’t seen this movie in 20 years and I forgot how much it f***ing sucks!”

1 Like

Yeah I remember that! Most recently she did voice work in Dune as one of the ancient voices… if you ever get a chance to read her memoirs… Wow! What a life!

1 Like

I found another one in my collection that falls into the “went on to much bigger things” category. I think this was early 2017? It was the only merch she had at the time. The LP wouldn’t come out until September.

1 Like

I used to own a somewhat scandalous autograph (but I lost it at some point). It was from Ron Gallagher, who ripped off his famous brother’s routine (all of the jokes and all of the watermelon smashing) and advertised himself as Gallagher II: The Living Sequel, which led to much fighting in and out of court. I got to sit in the front row of what was technically a Gallagher show, so I was happy at the time.

4 Likes

Just remember, Gallagher is not funny floating.

2 Likes

An Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) 12x18 signed by Charles Cyphers, Nancy Loomis, and John Carpenter, a Nightmare on Elm Street 8x10 signed by Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, and Amanda Wyss, a Back to the Future Trilogy Boxset signed by Thomas F. Wilson, Christopher Lloyd, and Courtney Gains, a Ghostbusters 2 (1989) 20x30 print signed by Ernie Hudson and William Deutschendorf, a Kindergarten Cop (1990) Blu signed by Miko Hughes, a Frighteners 12x18 (1996) signed by Jeffrey Combs, a Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) Blu signed by Bruce Campbell, and a The Devil’s Rejects 8x10 signed by Leslie Easterbrook and William Forsythe.

received_224690998588943

3 Likes

Found another thing in the collection that I forgot I had. This must be from back when he was raising money to re-master all his old albums for the box set.

7 Likes