Babylon 5 reboot!

That makes a whole lot more sense. And as we’ve seen, it’s not such a great idea to tie your universe to the original characters. It’s…confining. kaff

2 Likes

No one’s saying Mumy, et al, need to appear as their old characters, just that it would be a nice nod to the original series if they were to recognizably cameo in some fashion, e.g., Joel “flushing” the movies in the Netflix MST3K era.

2 Likes

Certain characters are so integral to the overarching narrative that their character arcs can’t be changed without altering it — and no one’s said word one about the particulars of the reboot other than Sheridan is central to it. But is it Sheridan’s original role, Sinclair‘s, or something else entirely?

Look at World War II. From the viewpoint of historical drama, there’s a certain clear narrative that’s been refined over the decades, beats that can’t be ignored without altering the outcome — which some have done (Inglourious Basterds, anyone?). But that’s never stopped anyone from telling new stories between the existing beats, or presenting them in different lights.

And with Babylon 5 we have the original author of the whole shebang onboard — who’s to say he might not want to change a few of the beats this time around? Introduce some new characters? Tell some stories he’s thought of since? It’s been almost thirty years, after all.

5 Likes

Perhaps they could all play new characters that come to power after causing a riot in a prison ship.

2 Likes

That’s my feeling. I don’t feel the slightest bit of interest in a B5 reboot. I liked the original, even if some of it wasn’t as good as it could have been. It’s a good story and it’s a big universe with lots of room for other stories to be told. So why go back and retell the same stories, even if you’re going to do it with a modern interpretation? The original stories were good. Build on that universe and, in the immortal words of Pearl, “Move on. I am.” As a B5 fan, I think I’ll stick with my original box set and just enjoy it.

4 Likes

Right now?.. especially now… I don’t need anyone trying to replace Susan Ivanova? I’ve been living in the hour of the wolf for 18 months. 18 months. The wolf and I are now on a first-name basis. I don’t need any more stress?

/me grabs shot glass

The only good thing I can think of is that Rebo and Zooty already have a show on the CW? So, a roll reprisal is more than possible?

I’m almost as apprehensive about this as the Night Court reboot/sequel?

Shrug

I guess I should remember that it’s just a couple of shows and just relax?

3 Likes

I’m pretty excited for this–B5 could certainly use another look, and now that arc storytelling is more of a thing it might be interesting to see in what new direction you can take the pieces from the original with a new take on things.
B5 Vir why make history if you dont learn

5 Likes

On her Instagram, Claudia Christian posted a picture of herself and most of the surviving B5 cast saying that they had been “kept in the loop” from the start and are going to be involved in the reboot, but no specifics yet.

So that answers that for now…to quote another show…shiny!

5 Likes

That’s good to hear they should be involved.

2 Likes

JMS posted on his official FB page (and I think in a long Twitter thread) that it’s not going to be the same B5 as it was when he created it 25-30 years ago. He says he can’t imagine bringing back Bruce as Sheridan without Mira as Delenn, or going back to Londo without the actors who played G’Kar and Vir. He also noted that he’s progressed as a writer since then, so any B5 story he tells now will differ from what he created in the past.

I suspect there will be similarities between this new B5 and the original story. But I also suspect there will be interesting divergences. He hasn’t said whether he’ll be writing more than the pilot. I imagine, recalling how much writing everything from mid-season 2 to the end wore him down, that there might be a writers’ room that he directs.

I’m curious to see if this happens and what it looks like if it does.

5 Likes

Here’s official word from JMS on Twitter that @robertcollins alluded to:

To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup.

— J. Michael Straczynski (@straczynski) September 27, 2021
The rest of the tweet chain

The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling. As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote --

-- “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question:

if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?

How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road.

So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and --

-- put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.

How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix. Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to --

-- the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end…creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and --

-- I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what’s possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project. They understand the --

-- unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.

Onward!

It’s the same announcement on his Facebook page.

2 Likes

One thing we do know is that even though Zathras died, Zathras will be able to take up the reins.

4 Likes

I’m particularly excited by the third sentence in JMS’ post:

I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup.

He’s the showrunner! For better or worse, JMS is the showrunner once again!

2 Likes

This news makes the reboot series more promising to me. Now, about the new Night Court series…

2 Likes

I’m excited! Of course a complete reboot makes sense, for the reasons JMS stated. I’m a little surprised we’re going straight to Sheridan instead of getting a second chance with Sinclair, whose story has been explored far less in the original continuity

2 Likes

I was reading the Hollywood Reporter’s regurgitation of the facts, and something jumped out at me that I hadn’t seen in other articles:

His (Sheridan’s) arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race. (emphasis mine)

If that bit’s correct, then we’re seeing the first change from the original series (B5TOS?) that may be reflecting a bit of Crusade’s influence. From the Babylon 5 Fandom Wiki:

The Earth-Minbari War began in 2245 when an Earthforce expeditionary fleet destroyed and heavily damaged other supporting vessels in the Grey Council’s fleet, killing the Minbari leader Dukhat.

An “exploratory Earth company”, i.e., a non-military organization started the (Earth Minbari?) war, not “Earthforce” as in B5TOS. And as later season of B5TOS and Crusade demonstrated, corporate xenoarchaelogy was very much a thing that led to all sorts of troubles. It might be a minor reshuffling of the deck chairs (did Earthforce originally operate more more like Star Trek’s early Starfleet, or as a private firm that was nationalized to fight the war?), or it could be the tip of a whole new iceberg.

1 Like

Well them Mins ought not have opened their gun ports like that. Sign of respect they said. Pff. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The Minbari weren’t a million years ahead as far as I remember. Might be some other race they’re talking about.

2 Likes

Is it a sign of respect or blatant plagerism that “The Vulcan Hello” resulted from basically the same misunderstanding?

‘xactly! Another possible point of change!

1 Like

This is great news. With JMS involved, we are guaranteed to get a great show! Although, keep in mind, it will be different. I’m open to new things and I’m pumped.

I only watched B5 for the first time about 2-3 years ago. Back then, I didn’t understand or get B5 and I felt like it was a challenge to Star Trek. Little did I know I could just enjoy both! I’m still not certain how that weird rivalry started.

2 Likes