Babylon 5 reboot!

Now if this time they will just let JMS get on with it and not mess with episode order or wait until after the last second to let him know whether they’ve been renewed. And it’s going to be weird without so many of the main cast, but I trust JMS to tell his story with or without the original cast.

2 Likes

It’s not like JMS has much choice at this point, with all of the principals either close to or past sixty, and (over?) half have passed on entirely. Cameos by the remaining ones in different roles would be a nice touch, though.

2 Likes

I’m sure that they will be able to get Rebo and Zooty back at least.

1 Like

Clock’s ticking there, too. Teller’s in his mid-seventies. And Zooty’s “voice” was that of the late Harlan Ellison.

1 Like

From the “I’m not dead yet… I feel happy!” Department:

2 Likes

I read that article the last time they wrote it.

5 Likes

I really hope this is true, but I also have a lot of doubts given the CW seems likely to be sold and they just cancelled over half of the 20 or so scripted series they aired this year.

3 Likes

I am also doubtful. “We said it was going to be this year, but now it’s next year! …because the network is being sold to people who probably won’t want to have it!”

However, I’m also ambivalent about yet another series being rebooted and telling the same stories again. I know JMS has said it will be new stories, but it’s still about John Sheridan being in charge of B5.

So, honestly, I’m glad that I have the series on DVD and I have no major interest in watching another reboot. I might take a gander at it if it actually happens, but I’m just a little doubtful.

6 Likes

Maybe it’ll be about how it mighta happened if Sinclair didn’t have to disappear due to the actor having life trubs; a Sheridan-free timeline. The B5 Kelvin timeline! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

If the current CW CEO didn’t want it, he’d have approved it and then it would probably have been canceled after 1 season.

The big question isn’t about the sale. It’s about who the CEO will be afterward. If that doesn’t get changed, I think the reboot has a good shot.

There wouldn’t be a second “still in development” story if there weren’t interest. There’s hundreds of shows in development we get one story about and then crickets.

3 Likes

Oh, dear. That doesn’t make me feel better…

3 Likes

The CW president is a fan, and used his power to move the show to next year’s development cycle, thus keeping the possibility alive. Otherwise it would already be dead, and JMS on to other things.

2 Likes

his patreon will keep him warm

2 Likes

I’m still hopeful about the reboot, but I’m certainly grateful for this as well. Because whether or not the reboot gets made, whether or not it gets finished, or even whether it ends up being any good, I’ll always have the original to enjoy anytime I want.

3 Likes

At least until Eric Idle clubs it on the head.

2 Likes

This new B5 series isn’t intended to be an alternate timeline / multiverse thing, or even an updated retelling of the same stories. It may be more like a “reimagining”, maybe like how Battlestar Galactica (2004) was different than, but conceptually similar to, the 1978 TV series. (Or maybe not that drastic of a change—it’s not clear based on the many vague comments floating around.)

“JMS” (B5’s creator) has said he wants the series to be how he would create his Babylon 5 story today if he were creating it for the first time. He goes into more detail in a twitter thread last year.

I’m remembering some of the things JMS discussed online about B5, like that they wanted to do this or that thing but it wasn’t feasible. I expect some of those may be in the new series, along with many other new ideas. I’m looking forward to it, hoping all goes well for the expected pilot and series approvals next year.

2 Likes

George Lucas had a similar experience.

1 Like

And pretty much all the changes made did not actually improve the show in any way. :slight_smile:

Like, it should be obvious that Sinclair and Sheridan should not have the same fates as they did. Probably a new solution that doesn’t play the sacrifice and borrowed-time revival. Sheridan and Delenn getting together again should probably be a no-brainer. If it works for Lois and Clark it should work for a mere second instance of them without it being tired. Heck look at how different of a long road we can surmise from Earth-38/Pre-Crisis Lois & Clark compared to their Earth-167 (Smallville) selves

1 Like

This week JMS is isolating at home with “fairly mild covid-y symptoms” and “had both negative and positive test results”. (So no SDCC 2022).

Asked if he was binge watching anything, he said:

7 Likes