BACKER WALL "GLITCH?"

My LAST NAME on my BACKER CARD on the BACKER WALL is truncated when you first look at it on the wall. I understand that you have to click on the card to see a bigger version of it, but here’s the thing: My last name is only one letter longer than what appears there, “Romano,” and the last letter “O” is replaced by an ellipsis of THREE CHARACTERS. Also, on the line above it, as you can see, there is plenty of room for more characters than that. On the third line, it would seem that there would be enough space for ONE MORE LETTER. Seems like some sort of technical mistake. You might want to look into this, as it may be a bug you can fix. I am Backer 11334.

4 Likes

ROMANI ITE DOMUM!

8 Likes

How many Romans?

4 Likes

A good legion or two.

4 Likes

Romans they go the house.

5 Likes

Free Brian!

6 Likes

Maybe you could get a dash instead!
ro-man

4 Likes

I can see a use for a line of code that checks for “will the thing I’m adding be longer than the thing I’m taking away?”.

4 Likes

This is probably a piece of logic that says anything longer than X characters gets truncated and an ellipses. I understand your argument that the ellipses is just as long (if not longer) than what it is replacing, but no matter how many additional characters you expand before the ellipses, you’ll still have situations where one letter is replaced by ellipses.

6 Likes

I went and pulled up your backer plaque to see if the ellipsis was Unicode 2026 (which represents the ellipsis as a single character instead of three, like this: …).

Wherein I discovered that hovering the mouse over a plaque enlarges it. Your name appears in full on the bigger one.

It looks like both flavors of plaques are ready to accommodate three lines of characters and things come down to a character counter truncating the smaller plaques because smaller. But Gizmoplex staff could better answer as they’re directly hands on with the wall.

4 Likes

On the “second line is longer” front, I wonder if it’s not three lines, but one line that naturally breaks on the spaces. That would at least explain what appears to be an inconsistency. So I think the rule is “anything longer than 25 characters, ellipsify on the 26th.”

Though to your point about it being one character, they should ellipsinate on the limit, not one character later. Whether that means you get your name in full or two characters get ellipsonificationed is TBD.

1 Like

Once again, Chris is using all the technical terms. :rofl:

2 Likes

I earned a degree in Linguistics, and by golly I’m going to use it!

1 Like

I hate adding eclipse logic into text formatting. If it were me, I’d allow 256 characters then just adjust the font size based on how many characters inputted and cut off the rest.

1 Like