Badges you'd like to see

One of the things we like about Discourse is the ability to create and collect very specific, customized badges which can be either awarded by admin or earned by doing certain things. For example, all Kickstarter backers will get a “Backer” badge; we are currently brainstorming other fun badges that y’all might enjoy. Let us know if you’ve got any ideas to share below.

9 Likes

Bronze, silver and gold Gizmonics ‘G’

Doors in the various show door sequences, 1 - 6

Interocitor from This Island Earth

18 Likes

To promote community involvement, I suggest (if it’s possible) “shifting” badges that get given and taken away based on certain qualifiers, such as:

Highest Total Post Count - All Time
Highest Post Count - Day
Highest Post Count - Week
Highest Post Count - Month
Highest Post Count - Year
Longest Post -All Time, Day… etc etc.
Highest “Likes” on a post - All Time, Day… etc. etc.
Most Viewed Post - All Time, Day, etc. etc.

I think that would give people incentive to make quantity and quality user content!

8 Likes

People love anniversary badges! Also, a badge for number of posts read (for the listen, not call-in folks).

17 Likes

I’d like to see top posters get a Gizmocrat badge.

8 Likes

I don’t know anything about badges or forums, but I would enjoy a more MST3k theme to them. I mean, I don’t know how it would work, but a Pretty Nice badge, a BANG! badge, etc.

Hey, I’m an idea man, not a good-idea man.

16 Likes

:joy:

I’d like to add the “Hua Hua” and “Go Ahead On” badges to this idea.

11 Likes

How about a Torgo badge for flagging two posts. You know, for taking care of the place while The Master is away.

Or a Hands of Fate badge, awarded on an entirely random basis.

Maybe a Creeping Terror badge for deleting one of your own posts. Akin to actively crawling into a terribly designed monster’s mouth.

21 Likes

“Thank you. Hello! Thank you.” for posting in Introduce yourselves here! (from Gamera vs. Guiron)

6 Likes

I doubt this is technically possible, but…
The Why Doesn’t Johnny Care? badge for removing a Like from a post.

14 Likes

I was shocked that this is even possible; I think I did it once by accident. I figured “liking” a post would be irrevocable. Seems like it would complicate a lot of under-the-hood stuff to let people undo that.

How about a Forklift badge (from Fugitive Alien)? I’m having trouble thinking what it would be for, but it feels like something that should exist.

9 Likes

Or for removing the Hubble space telescope. (MST3k: The Movie!)

4 Likes

Another badge we need (for something–no idea what):

:ok_hand: It Stinks!

15 Likes

How about when someone removes a like?

4 Likes

Definitely agree with the MST3K “flavour” to them
I’m not sure what for but I feel like there definitely needs to be:
“Turn Down Your Lights”
“Push the Button Frank”, maybe with follow up “Push the Button Max”
“Invention Exchange”
“We Got Movie Sign”
“Every Country Has a Monster”

Is there/will there be an invite system? Because getting someone to sign up could earn the “Keep Circulating the Forums” badge

10 Likes

Repeat to yourself “you should really just relax” badge for a post with zero likes/comments? Or something to that effect.

10 Likes

Special badge for us Beta testers =)

16 Likes
6 Likes

I’m having a hard time coming up with anything. I keep thinking, it’s got to function within the system (or rely on a moderator to award, and those are busy people).

EASTER EGG HUNT: Similar to the Getting Started collection of badges, these are awarded for just doing something once. The trick is… what? These could be planted by mods in certain forums for a limited time (possible to use as an encouragement to check out a thread). If it can’t be automated, it needs to be claimed by posting (not just reading). :rabbit2::egg::paintbrush::art:

MEMBER VOTED: Similar to the like-related badges in the Community section, but us members are given access to more reactions than just :heart: . Steam, for example, uses thumbs-up, thumbs-down, and funny. Why stop there? Click on Joel’s head for “groovy”, Crow for “wacky fun”, and Tom for “witty”, each linked to a series of badges.

Because, yes. Yes, I do need my stinking badges. (No offence @Ansible , I’ve been waiting days for someone to nail that reference! :clap: )

6 Likes

“You should really just relax” - how about awarded the first time you visit your own profile Badges page? Or view someone else’s badges?!

7 Likes