Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

It’'s superhero month in the Gizmoplex, surely the Animaniacs at WB (Dot) would take a couple bucks to screen it in the Gizmoplex!

7 Likes

Dang, it’s like a curse or something.

2 Likes

Is it wrong that I had no interest in seeing that movie until now?

10 Likes

I didn’t know this existed, but now I desperately want to see it.

9 Likes

Boy, that article sure reads like it was written with an agenda.

2 Likes

You’d think the people that actually had the rights would have been able to do a good job.

2 Likes

Having seen several other DC movies, I don’t think you would think that at this point.

14 Likes

Just a couple short years ago, I would have proclaimed boldly that DC needs to stay out of movies and Marvel needs to stay out of TV. Today… Well DC still needs to stay out of movies. (I liked The Batman, personally. But DC never had a problem with standalone Batman.) Marvel can just do whatever it wants.

6 Likes

Look what MST3K did for WB’s Moon Zero Two. They could work their riff magic once more.

Also, welcome to the forums!

3 Likes

It’s not just Batgirl or DC. Many projects are getting the chop due to the Warner Brothers merger. A Scoob! Movie, CNN+, and other originals on Discovery’s channels and HBO, including a J.J. Abrams project. Hollywood Reporter, for example, has a broader perspective.

Not saying the movie wasn’t bad. (The costume looked like it came from a WB series.)

6 Likes

It’s been in development for so long, I’m sure that didn’t help with the money thing.

4 Likes

Yet WB is still licking the boots of Erza and Amber.

The Office Ugh GIF by Romy

2 Likes

Oh, I’m pretty sure nothing with Ezra Miller in it is going to see the light of day for a long, long time.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Any idiot can cut costs - a good business person works at increasing profits.

Not the same thing.

3 Likes

If DC is worried about taxes, release the movie for free then set out little tip jars and donate the money collected to a good cause.

It just seems like a massive waste of money to create something for nothing, even if the movie wasn’t good.

2 Likes

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time Hollywood did that…

1 Like

Why not tidy it up, launch it on HBO Max, and drink in that sweet sweet streaming service revenue everyone’s all crazy about? I know I’d watch just out of sheer curiosity. No doubt a non-zero number of MSTies would too. Rifftrax could even do a Just the Jokes.

6 Likes

That was the intent the entire time — it wasn’t being made for a theatrical release, and it looks like the decision was made to can the film entirely rather than spend more money to correct the issues revealed by test screenings. Chalk it up as yet another casualty of the WB-Discovery merger (see, CNN+).

The next one to keep an eye on is probably Blue Beetle (2023) with a budget somewhat higher than Batgirl’s and a hero that’s essentially unknown outside of comic book circles.

I think the Ezra Miller’s behavior has WB-Discovery over a barrel; The Flash (2023) is a tentpole DCEU movie with the potential to reset the future plans for the DCEU going forward (i.e., something coherent!) and features a hero familiar from prior recent films and a still-ongoing broadcast TV show. If Miller will behave himself for the next ten months or so things may — may — quiet down. That’s obviously not a guarantee, but Hollywood is no stranger to handling scandals of all sorts.

4 Likes

After seeing some other recent DC films, I have to wonder how bad it has to be for them not to release anything. Which is a dang shame, as I’ve always preferred their comic universe.

4 Likes