Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

If it’s sourced from the New York Post, it probably is? That’s our Murdoch / Fox tabloid.

Signed, I’ve seen the pilot and we should have had a Batgirl ‘68 series, damnit.

5 Likes

And the Arrowverse, or whatever they call the DC Comics television universe. Feel very disenfranchised from the films.

Just taking a very deep breath and hoping the Netflix algorithm is very kind to Sandman’s premiere.

4 Likes
1 Like

You mean like the Marvel curse until Iron Man?

2 Likes

You know, maybe Batgirl is too good. Maybe they feel that the audience doesn’t deserve to see Batgirl.

2 Likes

Because Batgirl is the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now?

3 Likes

It’s pretty Batgirl of Burnside, which is sorta what I was hoping the movie was going to be? Well, at least there’s the comics.

4 Likes

Batgirl is the hero that Gotham could use on occasion. We’ll call.

3 Likes

If it’s that bad, maybe they should put it in a rocket and send it to the moon?

4 Likes

Isn’t that how Space: 1999 started?

4 Likes

Oh man, as many others have said, I did not even know this was being made, but I have to see this movie now. It’s a shame that without a release it is doubtful we will get a professional riff of this. I don’t think even Rifftrax touches unreleased films with Just the Jokes riffs.

On the other hand, if this was complete enough to be screened for test audiences, it will get out there sooner or later (I am hoping for sooner). I had a great time riffing the Corman Fantastic 4 movie live with my buddies several months ago, and we will be watching the 1978 Dr Strange movie this month. I have not seen it yet, but it should be ripe for riffing. I am sure we would have a blast with this Batgirl movie.

4 Likes

70s Dr Strange has a most excellent mustache and afro.

7 Likes

I should get some mileage out of that look. I will have to warm up some Guy From Harlem references. Bleecker Street is in Harlem, right?

Oh well, Greenwich Village is close enough.

4 Likes

Is that Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy? Fresh from his work on the musical War Of The Worlds!

3 Likes

Phil Lynott is Peter Hooten as Stephen Strange in Dr. Strange, the movie!

4 Likes

If you guys think THAT was bad, there was a very promising Batman screenplay that went unproduced…

10 Likes

Ooh, an even deeper, deeper meaning to Koenig’s famous line in episode 1: “Now we’re sitting on the biggest bomb man’s ever made.”

6 Likes

It’ll get leaked, because everything gets leaked, and then everybody who wants to see it will see it and WB won’t make a penny off it.

If it really is a bad movie, they probably won’t mind so much. But if people like it, then failing to release it to streaming looks like Yet Another Dumb Cokeheaded Move By Hollywood.

3 Likes

Was reading a bit more on this this morning - apparently they shelved this movie NOT because it was actually bad, but because they wanted to save the money they’d have to spend on marketing it and also they can take a big tax writeoff. Capitalism strikes again!

5 Likes

This is a big reason why my interests have shifted away from movies and into streaming TV.

But that will be ruined too shortly. If we can go by Netflix’s hilarious overreaction to “losing growth” because they ran out of people in the world with internet access.

4 Likes