Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

Thank you, sir!

2 Likes

I remember the good ol’ days when they had to release a movie in theaters and then flop before they could claim it as a tax write-off. Like what Burt Lancaster and his production company had planned for Marty before that hilariously backfired by becoming a hit.

2 Likes

I hate to be the “well, actually…” type but the print LOC has of Day the Clown Cried is not a complete version.

1 Like

Now I want to watch Marty again.

At some point, I’m going to have to watch the Philco Television Playhouse version with Rod Steiger in the lead role.

Is that what you want to do tonight?

2 Likes

Warner Bros.- We are not releasing Coyote Versus Acme as we do not feel we will get an adequate return on our investment.

Also Warner Bros.- Kevin Costner produced, wrote, and directed a four-part Western? We’re sitting on a gold mine! Fire up the marketing machine!

4 Likes

I guess because they’re hoping it will be as popular as Yellowstone?

Even then, I would think a four movie cowboy franchise would be a tough sell.

Meanwhile, Coyote Versus Acme seems like a guaranteed merchandising machine.

3 Likes

I’m not suggesting they’re being smart about it.

1 Like

This is only sort of tangentally-related, but I’m not sure where else to post it.

5 Likes

Yeah, we’ve arrived at the point where the only way to support a show is to pirate it.

2 Likes

I still teach summer theater camps and can say in my personal experience, kids currently have a fairly limited knowledge of Looney Tunes characters. Their parents and grandparents have an extensive knowledge of what Yellowstone is.

So whether I agree with it or not, I see the logic. (I don’t agree or disagree, because if you asked me if I wanted to watch new Kevin Costner product in 2024 or new Looney Tunes product in 2024, my answer would be a resounding Neither.)

4 Likes

I was just telling someone yesterday that while it’s very funny to me that I have to buy season 13 on blu ray, it is nice to have worked on a show that I can still get a physical copy of.

6 Likes

It’s nice that the Gizmoplex actually lets people download episodes, so that in the event that the service dies a sudden death, we can still circulate tapes just like we used to.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you’re into that, it’s great.

…wait, are you a part of the Skeleton Crew?

Not that I’m aware of. Though I’m also not aware of what you’re talking about.

On the subject of physical media, it would be nice if Amazon didn’t force their proprietary software on me just to stream my purchases

2 Likes

I still don’t get why anyone is nostalgic for Space Jam. Even when it premiered I was just, “Oh, great. I’m gonna’ pay to watch a 90-minute sneaker commercial? Yeah, how about not.” And I was a pretty hardcore fan of Bugs & Friends. I even had a locally published article about them at one point. Not that I was paid. [sad trombone]

In fairness, I was already in my Thiries at that time. :hourglass:

2 Likes

I saw it in theaters! I remember so little about that movie, but I do remember my dad being more disappointed than I was lol

1 Like