Batgirl shelved by DC Comics "never to be seen!"

“It will be called Home Box Discovery Office+”

This … is some sort of Onion parody or something, right? That’s the dumbest arrangement of the words that is possible. “Home Box Office Discovery” would have been better. Or “Discovery Home Box Office”. But Home Box Discovery Office? That … that doesn’t MEAN anything. It’s got to be a parody, or a riff. Please in the name of the English Language it has to be a joke.

5 Likes

Nobody really knows what HBO stands for anyway, but the decision to wedge Discovery between “Box” and “Office” is a curious one. Would have loved to been a fly on the wall in those meetings.

2 Likes

Here’s a pretty good Twitter thread from an acquaintance who was on the call and livetweeting it:

1 Like

The strategic goal translated:

Better quarterly earnings reports for investors so millionaires can have higher returns while hosing everyone else.

4 Likes

They haven’t said what the new service will be called. HBO may or may not be in the name, but according to Variety,
“HBO will always be the beacon and the ultimate brand that stands for television quality,” he said on the call.
If it’s not in the name, I imagine it’ll be some kind of hub the way TCM and DC are hubs in HBO Max now.

3 Likes

I vote they call it “George.”

2 Likes

Well, it should be Frank so that we can turn our crank to it.

4 Likes

TV’s Frank makes sense to me

4 Likes

But I don’t like Winona, ergo, I want to save “Frank” for something that’s going to play her music.

2 Likes

As stated above, this may or may not be the name. However, considering their decisions of late, it is something that would be out of an Onion article

2 Likes

Maybe the HBO part can be TV’s Frank and the Discovery part can be TV’s Son of TV’s Frank.

4 Likes

Home Of The Box Office Discovery! The HOTBOD channel!

4 Likes

Box Home Discovery Office!

And, of course, Box Home Discovery Office+ if you don’t want your show broken up by commercial breaks placed in the middle of sentences of dialogue.

2 Likes

I vote for HOTBODMAX+

5 Likes

How about they call it the Office of Home Box Discovery?

Hmm, no that sounds too ominous.

1 Like

HOTBODMAX+

Is that the channel with the late night movies that are supposed to be hot but really aren’t so hot?

1 Like

Sounds too Government Oversite(y)

2 Likes

No. You’re thinking of Showtime.

1 Like

You will watch Sweet Life Los Angeles by order of the Office of Home Box Discovery.

2 Likes

SUPOSSEDLY the reason it was canned is as follows…

1- REasons mentioned above.

2- They where going to bring KEaton back, only to kill him off in a way that would make killing off luke skywalker look like well written fan service. so, yeah, not good. THAT would be brand damaging.

I feel good about the future of DC now. I just hope there are still enough writers in hollywood that know how to write the classic blockbuster way like top gun 2.,

1 Like