Beautifully Illustrated Film Posters

Not for photographic movie posters, but art in pen, ink, paint, digital, etc.

LIMIT - Try to keep it to 3 to 4 posters per post, it’s easier on the eyes and the brain (at least for me) to break them up like that.

If I Were a Thief… I’d Steal (2013), directed by Paulo Rocha, artist unknown

The Abyss (1910), directed by Urban Gad, artist unknown

Chinatown (1974) - artist Jim Pearsall - There were several versions of the poster art, but I like this one, with no credits, just clean art.

From IMDB

Looking up Jim Pearsall on Google, reveals there is a movie poster spot that says “Jim Pearsal was a one-hit wonder, but what a hit it was!” While Jim Pearsall was working at the now-defunct movie marketing behemoth, Diener Hauser Bates Advertising, Pearsall created the artwork for the 1974 film “Chinatown”, which is arguably the greatest movie poster of all-time.

20 Likes

The posters for the 80s/90s Godzilla movies are absolutely glorious.

18 Likes

I was gonna mention that artist–Noriyoshi Orai–as well. His Star Wars stuff is phenomenal

21 Likes

Albert Kallis was doing a lot of great work for AIP, but was Queen of Blood one of them? I couldn’t pinpoint a specific artist on that one.

16 Likes

From Reynold Brown

13 Likes

Unknown artist for Fritz Lang’s Die Nibelungen, Parts 1 & 2

14 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Polish graphic designer Mieczysław Wasilewski, and he did some cracking movie posters in the 80’s. I lucked on to a couple of originals when I was in Krakow many a year ago and they have pride of place in my home

Out Of Africa

il_340x270.2246758917_rsar

Crocodile Dundee 2

wasilewski_mieczyslaw_crocodile_dundee_2

But the one I really want is an OG of his poster for Critters. It’s sublime AND ridiculous

il_340x270.2907106667_creh

20 Likes

16 Likes

Enjoying the contributions, keep 'em coming.

I’m having difficulty tracking down artist information, I hate not crediting them, but… here’s a few more I liked, by artists unknown (but if you know who they are, please share)

17 Likes

A bunch of years ago I scored these two original Swedish posters by Eric Rohman. I haven’t seen either flick yet.

The Mystery Woman (1935)

(I had to take it off the wall because the green is fading. The image on the IMDB link shows how brilliant it used to be.)

The Tomboy (1936)

11 Likes

Those are sweet, they’d look amazing framed and hanging on a wall.

One thing that bugs me at my movie site, is you have this gorgeous art piece, and some bonehead replaces it with one of those floating head photographic posters - not that I’m against great photography, but replacing beautiful art with something awful should be a grounds for a banning. (he says only half kidding)

Soviet poster art especially, from the silent era on.

Here’s an experimental piece for the experimental film, Man With A Movie Camera art from the Sternberg Brothers.

11 Likes

Metropolis is not only one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever and a bonafide classic, but it produced some amazing posters. This is the most famous one, the original German release; I have a copy of this one hanging on my wall:

This is another contemporary one with a totally different look and color scheme:

I grew up watching the 1984 Moroder restoration, with probably the best rendering of the Maschinenmensch:

A slightly goofier rendering; I think this one is Canadian:

And finally, one that concentrates on the Metropolis itself:

22 Likes

I’m almost sorry my parents sold this poster, but it did get them $70,000 when it was the featured item at Sotheby’s, so I can’t get too mad.

13 Likes

I also love the poster for Vertigo.

17 Likes

:+1: A classic design from Saul Bass, though several artists contributed to the piece (Art Goodman did the figures, the spiral came from computer pioneer, John Whitney Sr.)

http://annyas.com/saul-bass-vertigo-movie-poster-design/

8 Likes

One more. This is not my favorite poster for the film, but it’s the one I own and it’s in a large frame on my wall, without the fold lines, so I thought I’d share.

We have two big poster frames. The other has a Zardoz poster in it at the moment, but it isn’t beautiful by any means. We just like Zardoz.

10 Likes

I had that one on my dorm room wall when I was in college.

9 Likes

Gotta get some The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari love in here…

15 Likes

They do, but I’m not hanging the second one anymore for fear it will fade further, even though it was under UV glass in very indirect sunlight for about 15 years. Whatever that green spot ink is it’s very volatile.

5 Likes

Some great selections on here. I especially love Minimalist, Art Deco, and Art Nouveau.

Anatomy Of A Murder

Der Golem

Nosferatu The Vampyre

Event poster for Run Lola Run

17 Likes