Bela Lugosi. In Your Eyes?

Yes he was Dracula. Personifying The Count and representing the standard for which every subsequent vampire would be judged by. His accent, his eyes, his exotic looks, he exuded an air of the exotic. A virile attractiveness bound by a power and potency he would wield time and again in role after role. People throw around the term x-factor and Lugosi definitely had it. The poise, the presence, the manner in which he presented himself. Bela is pure movie star with one fatal flaw. The inability to expand beyond his initial impression. Since Count Dracula is how the world came to know him, the part became his rules of engagement evermore. Dracula till the end of time or variants thereof was what he could play. He fought to be more petitioning casting directors and later lamenting being “the boogie man” in the 50s though the flicker of his first success stayed with him.

What stood him apart also binded him, the otherworldly voice and his broken English locked him out of conventional roles and along with the typecasting proved too much to escape. Once he starred as Dracula on Broadway then Dracula on the West Coast then Dracula (1931) for Universal, the die is cast. Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932), White Zombie (1932), Chandu the Magician (1932), Island of Lost Souls (1932), The Black Cat (1934), The Return of Chandu (1934), The Mysterious Mr. Wong (1934), Mark of the Vampire (1935), The Raven (1935), The Invisible Ray (1936), The Phantom Creeps (1939), Son of Frankenstein (1939), Ninotchka (1939), Black Friday (1940), The Devil Bat (1940), Invisible Ghost (1941), The Black Cat (1941), The Wolf Man (1941), The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), The Corpse Vanishes (1942), The Ape Man (1943), Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), The Return of the Vampire (1943), The Body Snatcher (1945), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948).

The roles dried up not long after. His age, substance abuse, and the business writing him off were significant factors that greased the rails for Ed Wood to ride in for the rescue. Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952), Glen or Glenda (1953), Bride of the Monster (1955), The Black Sleep (1956), Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957). Dying in 1956, he was buried in one of the Dracula capes in full costume including the ring. An appropriate close to a life defined by one break which then consumed everything. He persists even today and isn’t a ghost we’ll soon forget. His work populated 5 MST3Ks. The Corpse Vanishes, 3 chapters of the horror serial The Phantom Creeps, and Bride of the Monster. Force of Nature or The Ghoul Goes West?

5 Likes

Note: Bela Lugosi smiled himself into 5 MST experiments. The Corpse Vanishes (1942), a trio of The Phantom Creeps (1939) installments, and Bride of the Monster (1955). Links to talks on all 5 episodes are provided below.

Summary

105. The Corpse Vanishes (1942)

203. Jungle Goddess (1948)

205. Rocket Attack U.S.A. (1958)

206. Ring of Terror (1961)

423. Bride of the Monster (1955)

4 Likes

The Real Dracula - Bela Lugosi.

4 Likes

Intimate Interviews - Bela Lugosi.

3 Likes

Bela Lugosi Documentary: The Rise of Dracula.

4 Likes

Bela Lugosi Documentary: The Return of Dracula.

4 Likes

Bela Lugosi Jr Interview.

4 Likes

10 Things You Should Know About Bela Lugosi.

4 Likes

Dracula, the 1931 Bela Lugosi Version - What Makes This Movie Great.

4 Likes

Bela Lugosi Is Not Boris Karloff’s Sidekick - Tim Burton’s Ed Wood (1994).

3 Likes

Bela Lugosi Fight The Octopus - Tim Burton’s Ed Wood (1994).

3 Likes

Bela Lugosi - Just Out Of Rehab. 1955.

3 Likes

Bela is a bright spot in anything he appears in. I love Bela and will give anything I see he’s in a shot. All Draculas are his descendents, and no amount of whiny emo vampires or smug hipster vampires can ever fully erase the majesty he brought to the species. It’s sad that he struggled to break into other roles, but you have to admit that as soon as you hear that voice, you think “what music they make!”

And you can’t talk about Bela without mentioning Martin Landau’s amazing performance in Ed Wood.

5 Likes

So- family story time.

My great-grandparents walked across Europe from Hungary to a port so they could emigrate to the United States. They came to New York in the early teens and immediately joined a Hungarian branch of the American Communist Party. The treasurer of their branch was none other than Bela Lugosi. The story was he stole all the money and ran off to Hollywood.

Also, they believed in free love and both Bela and my great-grandmother were quite the lookers when they were young, so they probably slept together. My dad used to joke that my mother was descended from Bela Lugosi, but she looked too much like her grandfather.

7 Likes

Undead! Undead!

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

6 Likes

The irony is that book Dracula doesn’t actually have that accent - he’s taking considerable pains to learn how to speak English without a foreign accent so he can blend in.

7 Likes

Definitely a force of nature! His playing of Dracula is legendary even to this day. It’s a shame about the addiction. Who knows how many more great roles he would have got but for it. Still, I enjoyed him in Mst3K. His speech about home in Bride of the Monster was classic Lugosi!

5 Likes

My wife’s biggest celebrity crushes are Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price. (She likes her classic horror.) I can’t blame her. Hard to compete with Dracula himself.

6 Likes

Such a great story. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

I rarely have the opportunity to tell it, so thanks for the thread!

3 Likes