Benny Hill

I’ve gotten back into UK comedy, starting with Benny Hill. He and Monty Python make my sides hurt laughing. Hope you all like it too.

5 Likes

There are so many Monty Python references in MST3k episodes! You’d miss out on a lot if you weren’t well schooled.

3 Likes

Not a fan of Benny Hill, aside from using the music as the perfect silly chase music, but Monty Python is chef’s kiss
So quotable
Essential part of British part of British Cutlren.

I would recommend The Two Ronnies as well, there are some… not exactly acceptable to modern audiences moments but there are also plenty of classics. I specifically recommend the Four Candles sketch

5 Likes

Red Dwarf mic drop

6 Likes

The Goes Wrong Show (hosted on Prime) is the best new British comedy series I’ve seen for a while. This is probably a group that would appreciate it.

3 Likes

The Goes Wrong Show is amazing
Their stage shows are incredibly clever and the Christmas specials are a masterpiece.
Definitely recommend

1 Like

The Goodies as well.

2 Likes

I am a HUGE British comedy fan, from Monty Python to Men Behaving Badly and just everything…Does anyone remember The Fast Show (or Brilliant! in the US), that was a hysterical show…

2 Likes

Love all of the classics thus far mentioned!
Some to add:

That Mitchell and Webb Look
A Bit of Hugh and Laurie
Black Adder
Black Books

2 Likes

Love me some British radio comedy – panel games like I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue, The Unbelievable Truth and Just A Minute, comedy program(me)s like The Goon Show, The Burkiss Way and I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again, and even a science program, The Infinite Monkey Cage, does science with humor.

On TV there’s QI, Mock the Week, Would I Lie To You and 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown in addition to Chef!, The`` Vicar of Dibley, and the original British Whose Line Is It Anyway. And Python precursors At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set, too. Shan’t re-list the ones already mentioned. :)

Dare I further mention the multiple Hitchhiker’s Guide radio “fits” and the TV miniseries?

Basically, anything with Stephen Fry, Sandi Toksvig, Jo Brand, David Mitchell, Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle or Dara Ó Briain (or older stuff with Linda Smith or Jeremy Hardy) is going to get at least a look from me.

(also shakes his fist at the universe for taking Linda and Jeremy long before their time)

3 Likes

I recently showed an episode of Goes Wrong to MST3K-loving friends, who sat in stony silence throughout the episode.

The response as to why was, “perhaps we’re just not into the type of sophisticated humor you are.”

1 Like

Horrible Histories, whilst aimed at children, is fantastic. So much so that it won Best Sketch Show at the Comedy Awards, usually only “adult” orientated shows win.

I then suggest watching Yonderland by the same people and definitely watching Ghosts, which is still ongoing and one of the best British sitcoms

The UK Inbetweeners is infinitely superior but, as expected is quite rude and raunchy.

And Friday Night Dinners is another of the absolute best British Sitcoms for a while. Quotes from it are ingrained into our culture now.

1 Like

“The Goodies” were great. Would love to find the episodes on disc but the only ones I ever see are from overseas and a little sketchy or just a couple of episodes.

I haven’t seen Benny Hill in years, but I wouldn’t mind a rewatch just to map his jokes to their original Vaudeville performer.

2 Likes

I’ve watched clips of The Goodies on YouTube, though I did find the entire episode ‘Big Foot.’ Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious World: I don’t know why they keep sending me on these things, because I don’t believe a word of it.

2 Likes

I’d like to find some of the Benny Hill episodes with Nicholas Parsons as his straight man, whom I know best from Just A Minute.

I came to JAM sideways; I had already been a fan of the Hitchhiker’s Guide radio programs, and just loved Peter Jones as the voice of the Guide, and wondered what other things he might have done… little did I know. There are few things like Kenneth Williams in a full-steam rant. :smiley:

2 Likes

I could never keep track of the Python references I use on a daily basis. It’s my DNA at this point.

1 Like