Bert. I. Gordon. Bigger Is Better?

Radio Interview with Bert I. Gordon.

2 Likes

Even though I give Village of the Giants a pass, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready to give his teen sex comedies from the 80ā€™s a go.

3 Likes

I agree! Bert I movies are very watchable, but that doesnā€™t translate into favorite Mst3k episodes for me. Just my opinion, but Bert Iā€™s " forced perspective" wasnā€™t for me. Theyā€™re decent movies, but not as much fun as Corman, or even Coleman Francis! But I respect the quality of movies such as Tormented and Village of the Giants.

2 Likes

Ah, thatā€™s the film Mr. BIG directed recently. I was quite surprised when I found out.

2 Likes

Sadly, BIG has passed away at the age of 100.

5 Likes

Lived 100 years and made 8 whole movies riffed by Rifftrax and MST3K. Thatā€™s a warriorā€™s death.

12 Likes

Unquestionably and absolutely. Rest in Peace Mr. B.I.G. May big and small creatures sing thee to your rest!

10 Likes

He has a legacy of actually-pretty-fun movies that made for great episodes.

I think Iā€™m gonna have to give Tormented a spin just because.

9 Likes

Iā€™m thinking the same thing. Perhaps The Magic Sword (1962).

7 Likes

Excellent choice!

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, how would you rank Bertā€™s experiments?

4 Likes

Starting from most most awesome to least most awesome, I think Iā€™d go:

Village of the Giants
War of the Colossal Beast
The Magic Sword
The Amazing Colossal Man
Beginning of the End
Tormented
King Dinosaur
Earth Vs. the Spider

8 Likes

Another question. What Mr. B.I.G. production ought to be an experiment? My money is on Attack of the Puppet People (1958) or Empire of the Ants (1977). Food of the Gods (1976) is a popular one too.

4 Likes

I remember there was this videotape compilation of B-movie horror trailers and clips that Hallmark sold. It was called Creepy Classics. Vincent Price hosted it, and it was just the best.

Anywho, it featured a double-trailer for War of the Colossal Beast and Attack of the Puppet People (both released in '58), and just based on that, Iā€™d love to see them go after Attack of the Puppet People. It feels like a tailor-made movie for MST3K, and thatā€™d be fantastic.

It even features one of MST3Kā€™s favorite punching bags, John Agar!

8 Likes

And John Hoyt and June Kenney!

9 Likes

And Albert Glasser music!

5 Likes

RiffTrax actually took a crack at that:

6 Likes

Mr BIG is right up there with Roger Corman when it comes to film makers who have had an outsized influence on the movies I watched as a child, and that stuck with me as a fan of MST3k and movie riffing in general.

I threw in King Dinosaur to commemorate his passing, but might just watch as much Mr BIG as I can shove into my eyeballs over the next few days.

7 Likes

The Amazing Colossal Man was my first episode, so ā€œMr. Bigā€ has a special place in my heart. Rest in peace.

7 Likes

Think Attack of the Puppet People was his first of mine!

6 Likes