Bert I. Gordon's 100th Birthday

So I just noticed that according to his wikipedia the notorious B.I.G himself is going to be (hopefully) celebrating his 100th birthday this year on September 24th.

Do you think we should do something special to celebrate the occasion? I mean the guy had his hand in seven episodes. Perhaps the most of any director.

Anyone have a particular favorite B.I.G movie? Would anyone else love to see Empire of the Ants riffed?

21 Likes

The Magic Sword for me. That’s one I’d gladly watch unriffed.

Close 2nd: Beginning of the End

10 Likes

The September tribute could be a BIG tribute.

8 Likes

Watched Sword last night!

8 Likes

My fave? TORRRRR-MENTED! Wah-waaah-wah!

I wouldn’t mind seeing MST3K tackle Necromancy. Orson Welles as a coven leader!

11 Likes

Back in ye olden days :wink: we had a poll that covered favorites and riffing want-lists (voting is still open BTW) It looks like Empire of the Ants topped that side of the poll.

I’d love to see them to do “Food of the Gods”

as just a movie, my boyhood favorite was the Amazing Colossal Man (and it was on the receiving end of a top drawer riffing too). Magic Sword and Tormented were good flicks too.

Favorite Riffed movie, War of the Colossal Beast

A Gizmoplex tribute would be sweet.

7 Likes

I second that B.I.G.'s movies be the September (or any other month if it’s already been chosen) Vault Picks. I enjoy them all and wish The Amazing Colossal Man was back in the fold where it belongs!

6 Likes

I think we should all send him a postcard that is a photo of a grasshopper crawling over a postcard.
Happy centenary, Bert!

7 Likes
1 Like

BIG owes my wife $20 and I’m not celebrating until he pays her.

2 Likes

Bert I Gordon will be 100?! BIG if true.

3 Likes

Tormented would be my favorite BIG movie.

Followed closely by The Magic Sword and The Amazing Colossal Man.

And I would totally be down for some sort of tribute on his 100th birthday!

2 Likes

Well, how about that? :smiley:

Love me some Bert I. Gordon movies on MST3K. Really can’t go wrong with any of them, but if I had to pick a favorite? I’d go Village of the Giants. They were firing away on all cylinders there, poking away at a helplessly goofy movie.

After that, I go with War of the Colossal Beast.

But Tormented is great as a kick-back-and-relax episode, as unlikely as that may sound.

4 Likes

Speak of the devil: Tormented is on the Pluto MST3K channel right now!

And y’all know I’m down for the ride.

Interesting movie for Bert I. Gordon in that it isn’t a GIGANTIC ENTITY movie… unless we’re counting the last appearance of Vi’s apparition as it flies towards the camera, so there’s room for debate there.

Anywho, SESSIONS PRESENTS: MST3K!

4 Likes

I’d go with Tormented. It’s my favorite BIG MST3K riff.

Village of the Giants is a “good” one, too. The closest he came to making a Disney live action comedy (teenagers, Little Ronnie Howard as a kid called “Genius”, C’MON!), and is very much of the mid-'60s. The giant kids are pretty smug, though.

2 Likes

100 years! That’s almost as long as the opening shot of “The Beginning of the End.”

6 Likes

Magic Sword and Beginning of the End are my all time favorites from that director!

I do hope that Season 14 will include Attack of the Puppet People.

4 Likes

Question: Does B.I.G. know how much we love his movies? Does he, like The Master, approve?

4 Likes

You and me both, but I don’t know if that’s one that Susan Hart owns. She holds the rights to a number of movies that MST3K can’t legally stream or release on DVD. Bert I. Gordon’s The Amazing Colossal Man is one such example (but thankfully, that’s not the case with War of the Colossal Beast or any of the other B.I.G. flicks).

If Attack of the Puppet People is in her possession, then that might as well be off-limits.

2 Likes

It would appear so. In the MST3K Vol. 11 DVD set, the Tormented disc comes with a reunion special for the movie featuring B.I.G., his daughter Susan, and the recently passed Joe Turkel. They talk about the making of the movie as well as its appearance on MST3K.

4 Likes