Best Halloween Cheese?

I’m looking for recommendations on fun cheesy horror movies to watch in preparation for Halloween. Here’s what I have so far

• Troll 2: a towering giant of good-bad movies. If you’ve seen this movie, then you already know what it’s about. If you haven’t, then what are you waiting for?

• Sleepaway Camp: like if they were making Friday the 13th part one, but the writers, director, and actors all made the wrong decision every single time they had a choice to make.

• Hack-o-Lantern: bizarre movie about a Satanic grandpa and a masked killer, the tiniest bit of plot thread that connects them.

• Hobgoblins: Hobgoblins, what do you do with those hobgoblins?

• Killer Clowns from Outer Space: Exactly what it sounds like. It either tried to be good and ended up so-bad-it’s-good, or it tried to be so-bad-it’s-good and it ended up being so bad at being so-bad-it’s-good that it’s good. Also, it’s bad.

Any other recommendations?

9 Likes

10 Likes

This is what I came here for. Thank you.

2 Likes

I placed most of my best prospects here:

2 Likes

Ghoulies

The Monster Squad

Once Bitten

6 Likes

Transylvania 6-5000
Witches of Eastwick is only terrifying because it has Cher. That movie is just plain bad.
The Muppets Haunted Mansion.

5 Likes

I like the vintage old school flavor of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

I mean, it’s Don Knotts, c’mon…

8 Likes

Killer Crocodile and Killer Crocodile 2 which are both available on Tubi. Two Italian made films that manage to rip-off both Alligator and Jaws (Seriously, the music was probably 1 or 2 notes away from getting those producers a personal cease and desist letter written by Spielberg himself.) It’s got cheesy effects, horrible acting, and even worse dubbing.

Oh, and I swear most of the characters perish because they keep jumping out their friggin’ boats. It’s amazing.

I love those stupid movies

2 Likes

Another cheesy choice is The Stuff. So bizarre. Goofy horror fun. If you haven’t seen it, imagine The Blob, but with yogurt.

10 Likes

Well, the book is much, much—no, actually, the book is trash, too.

My personal faves, “Hausu” and “The Happiness of the Katakuris”

6 Likes

Can’t get enough of that Stuff

5 Likes

seconding ‘monster squad’ and ‘muppets haunted mansion’

3 Likes

You could also watch the classic Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

5 Likes

Night of the Creeps!

7 Likes

If you’re cool with “found footage” films and are old enough to remember things like Geraldo’s insipid TV specials and Satanic panic,…

2 Likes

I’ve had this. It’s ok. But I’m not much of a hard cheese fan.

The Night That Dracula Saved The World
AKA The Halloween That Almost Wasn’t

Unriffed

Riffed

4 Likes

I assume everyone has seen this, it being one of the foundational horror comedies of all time, but maybe I shouldn’t. The sequel is pretty fun, too.

If you have a strong constitution, this is funny in a so-wrong kind of way. Not quite as mean spirited as Henenlotter’s other films.

5 Likes

Basket Case (1982). Well-intentioned but cheesy.

6 Likes