Best Halloween Cheese?

This one is so fun while also being scary.

Easy. Muenster.

2 Likes

Troll 2 really is the Best “Worst” movie I have seen, they take it so seriously and it’s just painfully funny.

1 Like

I’m delaying dinner to pick up a kid, was lured to this thread by the prospect of cheese, and there is none. The horror, the horror!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Google is telling me the Burnett Dairy Coop is 3 hours and 41 minutes away. I’ll really want cheese by the time I get there! I’m gonna have to cave and go to the dairy 20 minutes away instead. (Yay, Wisconsin!)

2 Likes

Scary Godmother.

Old 3d animation!

Weird Dancing!

A skeleton!

BroomMates!

1 Like

I somehow had not seen Jack Frost (1997) until recently, and it gave me Troll 2 vibes in the best possible way.

Other recommendations:
Blood Hook (1987)
C.H.U.D. II: Bud the CHUD (1989)
Chopping Mall (1986)
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)
Frogs (1972)
Ghosthouse (1988)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)
They Live (1988)

4 Likes

Speaking of Elvira I picked up Elvira’s Haunted Hills from Shout! Factory recently. Gonna give it a watch soon

For classic Halloween cheese I’m going through the Hammer Frankenstein movies

Huh…never heard of this one I OH MY GOD IT’S DIRECTED BY JIM MALLON!

1 Like

I think I’ve mentioned both The Uncanny and Strays in other threads. Both are absurd odes to Killer KITTIES, and… both are free on YouTube right now, just saying. :cat2:

I own them both on tape, but the one which really tempts me creep-factor-wise is Whiskers, which I’ve also mentioned before and isn’t even ostensibly horror. It just looks horrifying all around, starting with everyone’s hair. (“Family Comedy.”) That’s also free for the gawking right now. I don’t know if I’m ready, though. :cat2:

Muppets Haunted Mansion was great. I’ve also been enjoying the Rifftrax of Theater of Blood the last few nights. The Rifftrax of City of the Dead was also great, and reminded me very much of a MST3K experience, sans silhouettes.

4 Likes

I picked up City of the Dead on @SandyFrank ’s recommendation and have watched it a few times since. What a great movie/riff combo.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen City of the Dead riffed. I rather like it un-.

Speaking of “not really a horror movie” Shudder has this interesting little gem:

It’s a bildungsroman of a little girl in Australia ca 1959 who really wants a pet rabbit, and the fallout from her getting one. Also: communists.

You mean Blood Theatre? The Rick Sloane abomination? This has become one of my very favorite RiffTrax. Bill’s “O” gag in the beginning never gets old. The riffing is strong throughout, but the movie is so bizarrely bad that it almost carries itself. And it’s not an endurance test, like Roller Gator; more like watching a supermarket shelf collapse and marveling at the mess as things break and pile up.

If we carry this thread over to our next upcoming holiday, I’ll have to give thanks for Rick Sloane.

2 Likes

I’m so excited you mentioned that! I almost noted that when I posted it, but I was kind of curious if anyone knew or would discover it. I think it’s a pretty obscure movie. I haven’t seen it for awhile, but I recall it being pretty nuts. Also, like myself, it was made in Wisconsin, and it has a lot of WI references that I appreciated. I watched it streaming on Prime several years ago, but sadly the evil empire has since purged most of their catalog of the amazing under the radar and/or garbage movies they used to have, so it’s no longer there.

1 Like

“Thrill me.”

1 Like

×100 yes

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one. It’s sapped my brain, apparently. You can just feel the Rick Sloane sense of genius. He’s making such a cool, hilarious and scary movie, he’s 100% confident off that.

I’m really surprised he didn’t do a cameo somewhere in it, but I suppose he had to stay behind the camera to keep the circus running.

Weird. This one is in my library and it claims I watched it, but I hit play a few minutes ago and have no recollection of it.