Best Movies of 2022

Make a top 10 list, just a smattering, your least favourites. However you want to do it. That said, I do like top 10 lists.

2 Likes

Yay, a movie list thread, I love movie list threads.

There are many, many, many still to see (over 100 in my Wishlist, including Women Talking, and Babylon) and critical darlings I wasn’t impressed with (don’t go looking for RRR, or Everything Everywhere All at Once), but here’s my top 10 at this moment in time

1. TÁR
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin
  3. Decision to Leave
  4. The Northman
  5. The Batman
  6. God’s Crooked Line
  7. Prey
  8. Argentina, 1985
  9. Navalny
  10. Murina

Updated: Added Murina and Decision to Leave (dropped out, The House and Kimi)

1 Like

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On GIF by A24

3 Likes

I saw 20 movies released this year. The only notables were Everything Everywhere All at Once and Glass Onion.

2 Likes

I agree with you on TÁR.

What I thought was going to be a pretentious “only a critic could love” movie turned out to be a stunning experience with an AMAZING screenplay. I watched it twice in two days (on Blu-ray) and it was even better the second time.

However, my list for 2022 stops at 1.

I honestly did not like any other 2022 movie enough to put it on a best of list.

NOPE started out fantastic, but I was moaning with dissatisfaction by the final reel.

The Stars At Noon was so close, as I adore Claire Denis and Margaret Qualley is superb, but as my prime criteria for loving a movie is “Do I want to watch it again?” I have to say no, once was enough, thanks.

Everything Everywhere All at Once had the best trailer, but I did not particularly like the movie.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Movie was delightful most of the way thru, but wow it could’ve used a script editor for the final third.

1 Like

Look for them in my list instead :smiley:

I hardly watch any movies anymore, and almost none in theaters, but I’ll take a whack at it anyway. In no specific order:

• RRR
  • EEAAO
  • Glass Onion
  • Weird: the Al Yankovich Story
  • The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Yeah I guess that’s it. Saw some that were nothing to write home about (Dr Strange), and some came out I would like to see but haven’t (Confess, Fletch). But those are the five I really enjoyed.

1 Like

Geeesh. I haven’t been going to theaters this year, so I haven’t seen a lot of new movies. I’m three movies behind in the MCU! :laughing:

The movies I have seen from this year are:

Doctor Strange and the Mulitverse of Madness
Turning Red
Downton Abbey: A New Era
Lightyear

Oh dang. Worse than I thought! Fave of the group was Doctor Strange, though.

Believe me, I’ve got 18-20 of 2022’s movies on my to watch list. I’ll get there. We’re watching Top Gun: Maverick tomorrow, actually.

I have watched a lot of the AFI’s Top 100 Movies, though!

(And favorite movie I saw for the first time in 2022 was Bridge of Spies.)

3 Likes

I went absolutely bonkers for Everything Everywhere All at Once. My favorite movie of the year. That loud noise you hear on Oscar night will be me screaming upon Ke Huy Quan’s win in the Best Supporting Actor category.

Other stuff I loved this year, in no particular order:

• Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. It’s really the only movie that could stand as the Weird Al biopic.

• The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. Nicolas Cage is so Nicolas Cage-y here, AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

• X and the follow-up prequel Pearl. Mia Goth, y’all. Hot damn on a battering ram, Mia Goth.

• The Banshees of Inisherin. Everything was on point here: the cinematography, the score, the production design, the writing/direction, and especially the performances, with Kerry Condon perhaps representing this film’s secret weapon.

• Nope. Jordan Peele can do no wrong in my eyes at this point, and he keeps great company with Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer.

• Prey. Gnarly and metal as hell to the end with a central performance that should, by rights, put Amber Midthunder on the map. Now send the Predators to feudal Japan for additional awesomeness, please.

• A Christmas Story Christmas. Is it a purely nostalgic ride? Is it not quite as polished as it should have been? Yes, and yes, but when the emotional payoff is THIS good, I ain’t care.

• Barbarian. I appreciate horror when it’s clever. This? Quite clever with a twisting narrative path that takes you on an unpredictable ride.

Keep in mind, I have yet to see TĂĄr, Women Talking, Top Gun: Maverick, The Woman King, Babylon, The Fabelmans, or any of the stuff on Netflix.

3 Likes

I have no idea what this is.

1 Like

I will only contribute two movie to the discussion:

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio.
Quite a touching, thoughtful surprise. Infinitely better than the garbage Disney version with Tom Hanks.

RRR. (Rise, Roar, Revolt)
It’s an Indian Telugu-language epic action drama. It’s insanely fun.

Both films are available on Netflix.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed Top Gun Maverick. zoooOOOM! :us:

(I understand it’s far from the greatest film out there, and much more a movie than a film, but it was fun for me. I get a kick out of military aviation. :man_shrugging:t2:)

2 Likes

Mark BY GOD Rylance.

3 Likes

RRR is the biggest Indian movie ever. Basically it’s an over-the-top historical fiction action movie that imagines two of India’s biggest anti-colonialist heroes who become best friends but also at odds despite working for the same cause. The director and two stars are such a big deal, the title is a reference to them. It’s a three hour action epic with some of the craziest fights you’ll ever see… but the best part is the sudden musical number (where the background characters aren’t even cheering the character’s name, they are chanting the actor’s!)

3 Likes

It’s also, including the credits (which you must watch), over three hours long. Viewers with small bladders should plan accordingly. I watched at home split over two nights.

I want to see Prey only because I loved Amber Midthunder in Legion. I’ve never even seen the original Predator.

3 Likes

Wow, the original Predator was quite an experience in the movie theater, even Predator wasn’t so bad. There are a bunch of Predator fan films that explore all the different epochs and genres Predator aliens could show up in. Some of them are fairly well done.

Knowing what we know now about the Stallone/ Swarzenegger(sic.) rivalry; it adds a whole new dimension to Carl Weathers’ appearance in the movie. Weathers stars in “Action Jackson”, another action movie that gives a tongue in cheek nod to its own self, not to be taken too seriously.

It also contains some of the most classic one-liners in action movie history; along with an opening sequence that uses CCR to just rock !

1 Like

That was really a great year for movies.

Maverick was more than I could have hoped for.
Everything, Everywhere ect…ect… was AMAZING. Seriously, see it!
And Weird. My god Weird was a revelation. I learned so much about Pablo Escobar.

But…RRR.
This is easily my pick for the best film of the year. I have seen it 3 times already. And every time you see it with someone who has not seen it, it’s just astounding. I was already a fan of over-the-top Bolly/Tollywood action. But RRR actually grounds it in enough realism to make it extraordinary.

If you have any doubts, just watch until the opening credits roll. If you can quit the movie at that point, it is not for you.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty much done with RRR after the first half hour, it was too broad, manipulative and cartoonish for my tastes. There’s a recent Indian film titled Sardar Udham, that dealt with the tragedy of colonialism and such in a much more sober and moving way. That’s more my speed.

But don’t listen to me, I’m definitely the minority opinion. Frank, who loved it, put it on my radar during a Mads livestream… so go by him, watch it.

Anyhoo, I actually popped in here to change my list. MUBI offered me 3 months for a dollar, and I just finished with the noirish-Hitchcockian South Korean film, Decision to Leave, which IMO is Park Chan-wook’s best work since Oldboy.

Slotting it 3rd, which pushes The House (2022) - IMDb out of the top 10.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Worst movies of the year (no matter how much the Razzies try to convince you it’s Morbius):

1. Unfavorable Odds
  2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  3. Around the World in 80 Days
  4. Jeepers Creepers: Reborn
  5. Paul’s Promise
  6. Gigi & Nate
  7. Family Camp
  8. The King’s Daughter
  9. Father Stu
  10. Prey for the Devil
2 Likes

Can’t bring myself to rank, so in reverse chronological order

White Noise
Corsage
The Banshees of Inisherin
All Quiet On The Western Front
Everybody Loves Jeanne
Holy Spider
Sick Of Myself
Godland
Incredible But True
Crimes Of The Future.

Still need to see TĂ r, a feeling this thread has only reinforced.

3 Likes