Best Movies of 2022

The only BP noms I saw were EEAAO (loved it) and most of Elvis (was barely paying attention, just wanted to see the performance bits) so I have no opinion on the rest.

But I’m putting my marker down now: If Navalny doesn’t win best documentary feature I will eat my hat.

I will never eat a hat

This isn’t based on merit, it’s based on (a) timeliness and (b) people know that name. If in doubt, Best Doc goes to the topic you’ve heard of.

2 Likes

This seems as good a time as any to remember that there’s no such thing as the best movie of the year.

3 Likes

Unless we’re talking Paddington 2. At that point, the rules change.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know that I’d agree with your list completely but I’d agree it’s better.

Adapted from what? The previous movie? Star Wars?

Chariot of the Gods has a nom, e.g. but it lost to Woodstock (in case you thought the CIA didn’t control the Oscars).

Great bit in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent about that.

3 Likes

Based on merit, Navalny would be a worthy winner.

Fire of Love is generating a lot of heat for that award, so that’s a possible too (though Miranda July’s narration ruined the flick for me)

Those are the only 2 of the doc feature nominees I’ve seen

1 Like

As long as we’re all in agreement that Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O’s paddleball wang were robbed. They didn’t title that one segment “Silence of the Lambs” just to get snubbed like this.

2 Likes

Saw The BFG on Showtime a month ago. Underrated Spielberg and I recall Joel praising it in an interview a few years ago.

3 Likes

It’s not bad. Probably on the high end of Dahl adaptations.

2 Likes

If we’re praising Mark Rylance, I loved last year’s The Outfit. Tragically it just came and went and nobody noticed.

1 Like