Best Movies of 2022

The only BP noms I saw were EEAAO (loved it) and most of Elvis (was barely paying attention, just wanted to see the performance bits) so I have no opinion on the rest.

But I’m putting my marker down now: If Navalny doesn’t win best documentary feature I will eat my hat.

I will never eat a hat

This isn’t based on merit, it’s based on (a) timeliness and (b) people know that name. If in doubt, Best Doc goes to the topic you’ve heard of.

2 Likes

This seems as good a time as any to remember that there’s no such thing as the best movie of the year.

3 Likes

Unless we’re talking Paddington 2. At that point, the rules change.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know that I’d agree with your list completely but I’d agree it’s better.

Adapted from what? The previous movie? Star Wars?

Chariot of the Gods has a nom, e.g. but it lost to Woodstock (in case you thought the CIA didn’t control the Oscars).

Great bit in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent about that.

3 Likes

Based on merit, Navalny would be a worthy winner.

Fire of Love is generating a lot of heat for that award, so that’s a possible too (though Miranda July’s narration ruined the flick for me)

Those are the only 2 of the doc feature nominees I’ve seen

1 Like

As long as we’re all in agreement that Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O’s paddleball wang were robbed. They didn’t title that one segment “Silence of the Lambs” just to get snubbed like this.

2 Likes

Saw The BFG on Showtime a month ago. Underrated Spielberg and I recall Joel praising it in an interview a few years ago.

3 Likes

It’s not bad. Probably on the high end of Dahl adaptations.

2 Likes

If we’re praising Mark Rylance, I loved last year’s The Outfit. Tragically it just came and went and nobody noticed.

1 Like

Updated my 10 (new additions in italics) - and sorry for bouncing this to the top of the board twice now. It seems it does that when you edit a post.

1. TÁR
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin
  3. Decision to Leave
  4. Women Talking
  5. The Quiet Girl
  6. The Northman
  7. The Batman
  8. Return to Seoul
  9. Bruiser
  10. God’s Crooked Line

Seoul pushes Prey out of the top 10.

I’m placing Broker at #14, behind Argentina 1985 and Navalny (#12 and 13)

1 Like