Best of SCTV

This seems like as good a place as any to see if someone can answer my question about a particular Second City Television sketch I’m looking for. The bit centered on a man in his hotel room, calling his family while he was on a business trip. It started out as a genial call to his wife, then he kept thinking of relatives he should check up on, and by the end of the sketch he’s frantically calling obscure acquaintances he hasn’t heard from in years, trying to track down people and see how they’re doing. And then at the end someone walks in the room and he’s curled up in the corner cradling the telephone, looking like a complete madman, and he shouts in a tone of complete torture something like “LEAVE ME ALONE. CAN’T YOU SEE I’M ON THE PHONE!?”

Anyways, I cannot find this sketch no matter how I try to search for it. I know I saw it on the Best of SCTV movie (which I have a vhs recording of) but I can’t find it on YouTube or anything. Mostly I just want to see if Eugene Levy was the guy in the skit.

And if anyone has other good SCTV favorites to share please do! :yum:

6 Likes

I can’t think of Christopher Cross’ “Ride Like The Wind” or Michael McDonald without thinking of this clip:

5 Likes

That’s not, er… ringing a bell, but CanuckTV on LeTube is trying to compile the whole series. They might be the person to ask. :thinking:

Oh, and this one right here always makes me laugh 'til I nearly cry:

4 Likes

It’s a parody of the old AT&T commercials. The song playing in the background is “Near You”.

7 Likes

YES! I knew it was some kind of parody of a commercial. Hahaha it’s so much funnier than I remember too. THANK YOU!

(Btw, my parents and I were all trying to google this over dinner and finally I told them “I’m just gonna ask on the MST forum, that’s exactly the kind of crowd who’ll be able to dig it up.” And sure enough! :joy:)

6 Likes

It’s a good thing nobody came from the future to tell this guy about Facebook. :wink:

4 Likes

Ha, I remember that one. Funny show and a great cast.

In honor of puppet month, here’s their parody of the Battle of the Network stars.

8 Likes

SCTV is one of my favorite television shows of all time. Very few shows have so expertly parodied the aesthetic of television so accurately. The show just became more masterful as it went along…some of the greatest parodies, performances and writing I’ve ever seen.

It’s equally goofy, surreal and intellectual. The best of old-school humor, Sid Caesar silliness, Pythonesque surrealism and the emerging Second City talent of the 70’s and 80’s.

To top it all off, it’s also a piece of Toronto — and Canadian — history. As a born Torontonian and Canadian, it feels like it’s part of me. Even hearing the SCTV cast talk about their parodies referencing shows from (my current hometown) Buffalo, NY pretty much makes it LOCAL TV for me. It holds a special place in my heart for that reason.

The fact so many of the MST3K cast/crew praise SCTV is no surprise. I can see its influence throughout.

As for one favorite sketch? That’s incredibly difficult…but “The Man Who Would Be King Of The Popes”, while not the best thing they’ve ever done, is so emblematic of their style of writing and parody. I also laughed WAY too hard at how silly this sketch is while I first saw it in context of the episode:

5 Likes

A great show indeed. Here’s a website with tons of info: SCTV Guide - Episodes

I started a catalog of SCTV-related riffs from MST3K, and there are surprisingly few. Mostly either Bob and Doug McKenzie or Ed Grimley.

3 Likes

Really? You’d think there’d be more, given the comedic staple that SCTV became. So many talented comedians who went on to have prolific careers, so many iconic bits and sketches. Then again I suppose when you’re writing your own comedy show you don’t want to borrow your jokes too heavily from a different, more popular show lol

2 Likes

I identified 42 episodes that had at least one SCTV-related reference in seasons K-12, which is more than I remembered. A lot of them were just references to the actors, John Candy in particular.

One thing I wasn’t sure of was the times Servo and Crow yell out to each other, “Hello Roy!” “Hello Siegfried!” During “Lust for Paint,” Dave Thomas and Eugene Levy played Monet and Degas yelling out in the same sing-songy way to famous people of the time. They did a similar thing in “The Adventures of Shake ‘n’ Bake” later. I wasn’t convinced the 'bots were playing off that, or if the reference was to something else (besides just Siegfried and Roy.)

2 Likes

I just recently watched their 4 part series about the local kid’s TV puppet show, Happy Hour, on which they watched episodes of the classic Western movie serial, Six Gun Justice. It’s clear some one in the cast had a real love for those old, cheesy movie serials and the SCTV cast and crew really knocked it out of the park on this one.

They not only duplicated the look of those cheap movie serials (costumes, makeup, camera angles, mismatched stock footage, absolutely misleading cliffhanger endings which defy all logic when resolved in the subsequent episode, etc.), they also duplicated the look of an actual old reel of film with scratched film, bad edits, and jump cuts within/between scenes because of missing footage.

All in all, it’s some of SCTV’s work I think many MST3K fans would admire. I would warn that part of the humor in all 4 episodes stems from one character’s obvious drinking problem, in case that is an issue for any one. All four can be found on the U2bs.

4 Likes

Not only was SCTV great, it was responsible for the best version of Hamlet ever filmed and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

7 Likes

OMG, a friend of mine LOVES this movie, and he showed it to me last December for the first time. I lost my crap several times and we’ve now adopted the time-honored tradition of yelling “HOSER” at each other at inappropriate times. :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ll be in the cafeteria sellin smokes.

4 Likes

I always loved Martin Short’s Jerry Lewis homage/take down.

Almost as funny as MST3K’s Bergman parody.

“cuz he makes me feel good, a lot!”

3 Likes

Marty also did Jerry Lewis (sort of) once on SNL:

This bit has had free real estate in my head for almost my entire life.

6 Likes

“By the dawn’s early — pardon me boys” is the part that often occurs to me, out of context, for absolutely no good reason. I forgot about the Canadian anthem though :rofl:

1 Like