Best Song Awards in MST Episode

I feel that the poll is missing “Hooray For Santa (Santy?) Claus”.

Hang up that mistletoe
Soon you’ll hear Ho-Ho-Ho
On Christmas Day you’ll wake up and you’ll say
HOORAY FOR SANTY CLAUS!

4 Likes

That’s an opening credits song … disqualified. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, The Platters’ number from Girls Town would be a game-changer here for me.

4 Likes

Livingston and Evans won 3 Best Song Oscars.

7 Likes

I live the riffs in hobgoblins, but Kiss Kicker is a good sounding song. Despite the fact that my auto correct keeps trying to change it to Kiss Stickler

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s great, but it’s not awful. I think it suffers from bad sound. The same is probably true of “Never Steal Anything Wet” from Catalina Caper. I mean, that’s Mary “My Guy” Wells for pity’s sake! <3 Bad enough they probably gave her $10 and a strawberry malt for pay. Then there’s the added insult of using actual water to mix the song. :angry:

3 Likes

I can’t believe they beat Dethklok to it.

1 Like

Early Kingachrome™ was a real disappointment. :confused:

1 Like

With their best known one being “Que Sera, Sera” from The Man Who Knew Too Much. Fun Fact: That year (1957) saw nine Little Gold Statues go to people with MST3K connections, the most of any ceremonies. The other eight were Best Supporting Actress (Dorothy Malone of The Day Time Ended), Best Foreign Language Film (Dino De Laurentiis of Diabolik and Carlo Ponti of Killer Fish), Best Score (Non-Musical) (Victor Young of Radar Men from the Moon), Best Art Direction (Black and White) (Cedric Gibbons and Edwin B. Willis of The Painted Hills, with Malcolm Brown of Kitten with a Whip), Best Art Direction (Color) (Lyle R. Wheeler of Space Travelers), Best Cinematography (Color) (Lionel Lindon of The Black Scorpion), Best Editing (Gene Ruggiero of Cry Wilderness and Paul Weatherwax of Revenge of the Creature), and Best Special Effects (John P. Fulton of The Space Children).

7 Likes

Definitely the best song on the list.

4 Likes

You can’t disqualify Christmas! Dropo walked so that we might run!

2 Likes

I picked “Are You Happy in Your Work”

It, “Moon Zero Two”, and “Wish It Were Me” were the only MSTed numbers that earned noms in my list of “Best Original Songs” (key is ‘original’, some of the better songs in these movies were done earlier and elsewhere either in film or record)

“Wish It Were Me” by the Platters I’m not 100% certain of… it could have been written/recorded before the movie went into production, and it was on the charts a month before the film’s release. But the singles are stamped with the words “From the MGM production of Girls Town”, so I’m thinking it was commissioned for the movie.

But yeah, too many good MST songs to number… the tunes from the Beau Brummels in Village of the Giants, Jimmy Bryant’s numbers in Skydivers, I liked Carol Kaye’s stuff from Strange Creatures, Elkie Brook’s tracks from the Deadly Bees, the Del Aires from Horror of Party Beach, and of course, “My Lunch Goes Bleeah!” from Wild Rebels :face_vomiting: :wink:

3 Likes

Really good stuff there, too.

If I had to choose just one of theirs from that movie? I’d go with “Joy Ride,” the one with the lyrics about the “funny little sirens.” (beginning at the 13:44 mark)

With apologies, of course, to “Wigglin’ Wobblin’” and “The Zombie Stomp.”

5 Likes

I’m partial to “Elaine” myself,

but you can’t go wrong with this folk traditional :wink:

3 Likes

No write-in votes for “The Name of the Song is Prune” yet?

9 Likes

No love for Diabolik 's Deep Down?

4 Likes

If the poll isn’t for opening credits songs, then why the presence of Night Train to Mundo Fine?

3 Likes

There may or may not have been a bribe from the Coleman Francis people.

5 Likes

My votes are Idiot Control Now and Get Your Schick Out and Shave

5 Likes

That song might have been interesting in that movie, but having to hear Doris Day sing it every Monday night on her TV show was awful.

3 Likes