Best Worst Direction All-Around

What movie rises to the depths of torture and infamy solely or chiefly owing to the person who left their stamp all over it? Good director, bad director, a hack. Who has the Midas Touch and graces their fare with the kiss of death? Or gives them an afterlife unlike most films?

Paul W.S. Anderson grabs my attention. The Three Musketeers (2011), the nonstop bonanza of the Resident Evil series, Alien vs Predator (2007), Death Race (2008). When Mortal Kombat (1995) and Event Horizon (1997) are your highlights? “Houston, we have a problem…”

1 Like

I have three nominees, two of which might be controversial:

Glen or Glenda - Ed Wood

This might actually be a somewhat interesting exploration of cross-dressing in the 1950s, had Ed actually understood some basics of storytelling. (And yes the "psychology part of it is whacko.) I’ll even go so far as to say that if he had the experience he had by the time he made Plan 9, it would be a better film. Yeah, I’m splitting hairs here, so sue me.

The Castle of Fu Manchu - JesĂşs Franco

Earlier entries in Fu Manchu, especially the first, were entertaining. There were good actors in these things. Part of the problem may just be the “Planet of the Apes” phenomenon of shrinking budgets. But the fact is, it’s clear Jesús just phoned this one in. It could be more entertaining. It’s just not.

Monster A-Go-Go - Bill Rebane & Herschel Gordon Lewis

The basic plot of this film is one used by many science fiction horrors in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. Astronaut returns to Earth as a monster. (Yeah, you probably don’t care but I blurred the “spoiler.”) In the hands of Bill and subsequently Herschel, this premise becomes one of the worst movies of all time. If you’ve seen anything else by Bill Rebane, you’ll figure out that this because he just wasn’t very good at his chosen profession. As for Herschel Gordon Lewis, well he wasn’t very good either, but he did hit on blood as a trademark. If want to see how bad he can truly be, watch Blood Feast. Or don’t. You’ll be fine if you don’t.

3 Likes

Fine analysis. Fascinating on Wood’s trajectory and your read his debut may have benefited were it done later.

1 Like

Neil Breen directs/writes/stars as fantasy Neil Breen in a Neil Breen production. I can’t pick just one:

Double Down
Fateful Findings
Pass Thru
Twisted Pair

Also, Paul W.S. Anderson has a knack for consistently making movies I could have enjoyed if only…

1 Like

Neil Breen is currently working on his sixth feature film. He’s reaching out for people who have CGI experience, just in case anyone on here wants in on the project.

2 Likes