Best Year for Movies

Which movie year is the best for MST3k? AND WHY?!?!?!

Sorry, I was so intense. I’m just curious.

3 Likes

I’ll put in a word for 1979: Angels’ Revenge, Parts: The Clonus Horror, Killer Fish, and The Shape of Things to Come.

5 Likes

I’ll nominate 1959, with a number of my favorite episodes:

The Giant Gila Monster, Teenagers from Outer Space, Attack of the Giant Leeches, The Killer Shrews, Hercules Unchained, The Rebel Set, The Day the Earth Froze, The Girl in Lovers Lane, Santa Claus, Girls Town, High School Big Shot, The Leech Woman and Prince of Space

10 Likes

That WOULD be hard to top, for sure.

3 Likes

Without naming specific years, I’ll just point out that older films tend to work best for me, at least.

By older I guess I mean 1930’s to 1970’s. Beyond that, not so much.

And the very new stuff (Demon Squad or The Christmas Dragon) I found difficult to tolerate. Not the riffing, the films themselves. Hard to explain, but 21st century bad films are as much fun as older bad films.

2 Likes

A number of the most painful and memorable experiments were in 1966. Godzilla vs the Sea Monster (1966), Gamera vs Barugon (1966), Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), Super Agent Super Dragon (1966), Red Zone Cuba (1966), Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966), The Projected Man (1966), The Deadly Bees (1966), The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t (1966), The Bubble (1966).

5 Likes

(I’m assuming the are/aren’t is a typo.)

If I had to guess, it’s the effort. New bad movies, while still hard to make, are a fraction of the effort old bad movies took.

Also, for old movies, you have to go to the very bottom of the barrel to find complete incompetence. (As Ed Wood boasted of his own “Necromania”, even the lowest budget flicks often had skilled technicians behind them.) The guy who makes a “movie” on his iPhone may have literally no understanding of any part of the traditional process.

2 Likes