Better "Final" MST3K Episode: Laserblast vs. Diabolik

The thread about the final MST3K episode one got me thinking of this.
Both of these episodes served as final episodes of the show in their own way (Laserblast for the Comedy Central years, Diabolik for the classic run of the show). Now, assuming that they show never did come back, either on Sci-Fi or the later Netflix run, which one do you think is the better capstone to the series? Take into account not only the host segments, but the movie that was used for the episode. I’m not voting because my choice would be a mix of the host segments of Diabolik with a movie more akin to Laserblast (Diabolik seemed an odd ending movie to choose, IMO)

• 706: Laserblast
  • 1013: Diabolik

0 voters

4 Likes

I like Diabolik, but I even thought about it yesterday (I think because of the thread about ‘the best ultimate ending’). For 17 years or whatever, it was the final MST3K episode… Not the perfect movie for that. Maybe because it’s perhaps cheesy, but not bad at all.

I listen to the intro song often (love me some Morricone!).

2 Likes

Also, Ator, the Flying Eagle doesn’t qualify?

1 Like

Didn’t count it because there were still tours going on. That and I just forgot to consider it.

1 Like

Understandable. I had to look it up.

1 Like

There’s your third option. Though at the moment, was it expressly intended as a capper as the other two were? That’s the question.

Laserblast is a hoot of a bad movie. If it had crossed my path on late night TV, as-is, I bet that I could’ve gotten through it at least once. It’s an episode I return to frequently.

I really find Diabolique meh most of the time, and its acclaimed soundtrack gives me hives. If not for the great closing sketches, I doubt that I would revisit it more than maybe once every couple of years.

Both episodes have good sketch finales, but I prefer the one at the end of Laserblast for being so bittersweet. And of course for the shout-out to all the Kubrick fanboys out there.

4 Likes

Probably no more than any other season finale.

1 Like

Agreed. The others were DESIGNED as definite endings with 2001 (1968) references in Laserblast and the characters transforming into babies or spirits and flying away or the SOL crashlanding in Diabolik. Ator, The Fighting Eagle keeps enough threads in play to allow another season easier than the earlier series enders. Remember too Joel hoped for another Netflix renewal post-Season 12 which wasn’t in the cards following Season 7 or 10 for Comedy Central or Sci-Fi Channel.

I just meant the same as any other season finale.

1 Like

Well the prior two were Series Finales not Season Finales. That was my argument. No biggie. I misread you.

I need to rewatch both of these to get a proper vote.

Let’s just hope there will not be any more “final episodes” for a long time. Bring on new seasons!

3 Likes

I vote Laserblast simply because I don’t know when I’ll be able to watch Diabolik again. The ending segment was lovely but it was simply too hard an ending to face when I was a teenager after watching almost ten years.

1 Like

You might want to offer Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders as a vote, since it aired after Diabolik and has a claim to being the ‘last’ episode.

1 Like

I think Laserblast is a slightly better episode, Diabolik is a much better movie, but only one of them was actually the “final” episode (or at least, so it appeared) so Diabolik wins by default.

2 Likes

I think the riffing in both runs about even, but Diabolik’s is a bit leaner and I laugh more. What really puts it over the top are the host segments, which are way better than Laserblast’s.

Not a question for me. Easily Diabolik.

1 Like

Oh, boy. Hmmm.

Let me put it like this. For me, Laserblast is the better overall episode comedically. I don’t say that as a sleight against Diabolik, which is a fine episode in its own right. But for me, the theater segments really SING. Just spectacular riffing over a wildly silly movie, with plenty of callbacks to give it that full circle feel. I mean, yeah, Diabolik has its callbacks, too, but they feel more pronounced and deliberate in Laserblast, giving the whole thing a proper series finale feel.

At the end of it, as @CLANG_Potroast puts it, there’s this bittersweet conclusion in Laserblast. And that bittersweet conclusion is oddly satisfying, even as it doesn’t provide 100% closure. Mike and the Bots (and Magic Voice) are pure energy. Pearl Forrester has a chance to do it right this time (and would get it horrifically wrong, as Revenge of the Creature reveals). Is everything wrapped up completely? No. But it works in its incompleteness, if that makes sense.

That all being said, Diabolik DOES have the better host segments, which really lend themselves well to ending this era of MST3K. Silly goofiness, a poignant song to bring it all to a point, a sendoff for our villains, and a FANTASTIC full-circle ending in front of that TV.

tl;dr: Laserblast is the funnier experience, but Diabolik gives MST3K a better “well, show’s over, let’s go out on a high note” closing act.

2 Likes

Yeah, Diabolik was something of a gutpunch when I was a youngster. I watched it, recorded it off TV, but couldn’t revisit it for some time because it was too tough to rewatch the definitive (at that time) ending to a show that meant so much to me and that I loved so dearly.

2 Likes

I genuinely can’t choose. I think they both did a great job of sending off the show, albeit with completely different approaches. I’ve never understood why Diabolik is considered a strange choice. It’s just another cheesy movie as far as I’m concerned. So I didn’t vote on this one because I really can’t decide.

2 Likes

I’m almost with you. But…

I remember being a tyke and seeing ads for Laserblast in the theater. It looked like it would be awesome. And there’s still a sentimental sway that '70s sci-fi has over me, so, if I have to chose, I’m going with Laserblast by the length of a butt pod.

3 Likes