Better "Final" MST3K Episode: Laserblast vs. Diabolik

While it is a cheesy movie, for a final episode of MST3K, some would think that you should go back to the roots of the show with a cheesy sci-fi flick (most likely from the 1950s-1960s). That’s my view on why it’s a weird choice, personally.

3 Likes

While right on a technical level, it’s obvious it wasn’t intended to be THE final one.

It’s like how there’s a handful of episodes for “Dinosaurs” after the episode where the ice age happens. Yes, they were aired later, but they were just aired out of order (in “Merlin’s…” case because of issues with film rights IIRC).

2 Likes

I liked how Laserblast was a blazer last

2 Likes

I guess for me it works because, in the show itself, it was just supposed to be another day and another movie. There was nothing special about it. With Laserblast, for Dr. F it was going to be the last one and they played with that. With Diabolik, she wasn’t intending to allow them to go free or even be destroyed. So it was just another movie to torture them with.

2 Likes

True enough, I’m just gumming up the works with a technicality. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I’m no film critic and I never read none them Cahiers du movies and whatnot, but I just feel like you might not be ready for some football.

1 Like

Considering the quality of the two movies, Laserblast was a low quality “B” movie with basically no name value and really sad special effects. Diabolik was a goofy Italian-made flick, but it is at least fun to watch.

Lasrerblast probably had better host segments, but I thought the lameness of the Laserblast movie was so bad that I’d rather watch Diabolik.

1 Like

It had Roddy McDowall and Keenan Wynn, and the stop motion aliens were pretty sweet (which combined probably ate up 90% of the budget). Why else would Leonard Maltin give it two and a half stars?

Having said that, I prefer Diabolik. While the host segments of the two are more or less equal, Laserblast is just such a dreary plod which you only get in the 1970s. Diabolik just has so much colorful wackiness to it that makes for a more fun sendoff.

2 Likes