Better Than You Deserve

Finest music an experiment ever had? John Barry? Alan Silvestri? James Horner? Christopher Young? Who tops them all?

1 Like

Elmer Bernstein was the musical director on Robot Monster. He also did Cat-Women of the Moon which was riffed on Rifftrax.

2 Likes

Gotta put it down for Ennio Morricone, contributing to Operation Double 007 AND Diabolik.

9 Likes

Henry Mancini composed for This Island Earth and The Thing That Couldn’t Die. His stock music was used in Kitten with a Whip, Revenge of the Creature, and The Deadly Mantis.

8 Likes

Let’s not forget John Williams, who scored such minor films as the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, for his epic contribution to the unforgettable Daddy-O.

7 Likes

The lyrics to the atomic powered robot song are sublime.

1 Like

Also remember John Williams’ pretty amazing cameo in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:

Apparently the crew decorated that set with trinkets representing each of the 51 movies for which he was nominated for an Academy Award. Sadly, Daddy-O is not on that list, but it’s fun to imagine what trinket they might have used for it. Perhaps a grimy little statuette of Dick Contino?

5 Likes

Strangely enough, I actually like Richard Bands’ synthesizer-themed opening for Laserblast and Robot Holocaust…

2 Likes

The opening song for Moon Zero Two and, maybe I’m stretching what counts as an experiment, but I must tell everyone of this intro song:

1 Like

I love the opening music for Giant Spider Invasion.

1 Like

Russ Huddleston and Robert Smith Jr’s composing on Manos (1966) is why I pay attention. The contradiction between what we see and what the score accomplishes lends Manos its mystique. Without “Forgetting You” and the jazz behind the pictures, would we be so interested? The recap of the movie at the end gains a majesty entirely from the score and that haunting vocal.