Beyond Turkeydome

My favorite preparation for turnips or rutabaga is peeled, cubed, tossed in herbs (chili powder, cumin, and garlic granules work great) with salt and olive oil and then roasted.

3 Likes

Indeed! I had something similar at a restaurant in New Orleans many years ago and have been trying to recreate my memory of it ever since.

1 Like

Time for another poll, one for the star of the show.

Ben Murphy vs The Great Vorelli: Enter The Entrée

• Turkey
  • Ham
  • Turkey & Ham
  • Turducken
  • Tofurky
  • Other (specify)

0 voters

2 Likes

always turkey, ham for Christmas

1 Like

I’m a little slow this morning. It took me a moment, I looked at that… and then the penny dropped and I howled with laughter.

2 Likes

I don’t like ham either. Believe me, I’m not as picky as I sound.

2 Likes

We always have turkey, but I try to have ham as well, even if just a small end piece. It gives folks a choice and helps ensure there is turkey left for those all-important next-day sandwiches.

1 Like

Even the smallest turkey is too big for just two people. Barring some big turn-around, I’ll probably do coconut chicken curry again this year, and serve it with Mr. Potroast’s pan-fried peanut noodles.

4 Likes

No kidding. You can find just turkey breasts, which are about the right size for two people.

4 Likes

One year when I was a kid, it was just my mom and I on Thanksgiving because my brother was already grown and out of the house and my father was away on business, so she decided that year would be sliced turkey deli meat. It was not a good Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

I thought about that last year, but the stores were cleaned out by the time we got around to it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My wife and kids are vegetarians, so we usually do the Field Roast Celebration Roast, unless my in-laws are coming — then I also get a turkey breast. (In fact, that’s about the only good thing about my in-laws coming for Turkey Day.)
But it’s really more about the side dishes at our house.

4 Likes

We could also serve… CHEESESTEAK!!

2 Likes

Maciste?

4 Likes

Oh damn, I got so excited about stuffing that I didn’t notice there was a “both” option. I change my vote to both! I definitely eat both mashed potatoes and stuffing, because the gravy tastes awesome on both of them!

4 Likes

I would maybe do both stuffing and potatoes, but there’s only four of us, so I need to keep some control over the amount of leftovers. Potatoes is also something we eat year-round whereas stuffing is rare, so.

Is it true that turkey and ham at the same TG meal is more of a Southern thing?

5 Likes

Could be. I’m something of a Southerner, being a Virginian with Carolinian roots on one side of the family. The dual meat offerings are not uncommon in my experience in the region, at least.

Oh, and leftover stuffing is great on turkey sandwiches, along with cranberry jelly and mayo. A thick, grainy bread works best at holding it all together.

3 Likes

This isn’t my weird foods thread. Come on.

3 Likes

Step 1: Have leftover stuffing.
Step 2: Have a waffle iron.
Step 3: Mmmmmmmmm.

1 Like

We generally have turkey for both. We’re not very inventive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes