Bill Nye the Science Guy vs Beakman's World

When I first saw Bill Nye the Science Guy, it was on the sketch show Almost Live. Though actually using science, it was really a dark parody of kids science shows, and I’m all for that.

The one I remember most was in answer to the question of if you were in a plummeting elevator, could you save yourself by jumping just a split second before it hit the bottom of the shaft? So he set up an experiment using an egg in a model elevator. First, as a control, he showed that without jumping the egg would be splattered all over the floor. Then he put in a little bumper that would cause the egg to jump up just before it hit the bottom. The result? Well, kid, you’re gonna be splattered all over the ceiling.

When I found out later he got a real kids show, I was like “did nobody see his past work?”

Anyway, Beakman was great, but I’m tipping towards Nye here. (And as others have pointed out, Mr. Wizard was the bomb, so he wins out over all.)

6 Likes

I watched the heck out of both, and you can’t make me choose!

But I gotta ask - why no love for Ms. Frizzle?!

4 Likes

To answer the question directly, I appreciate the showmanship and fun of Beakman and his crew.

But it’s gotta be BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! for me here.

2 Likes

She almost drove those kids into a toilet once.

3 Likes

Make mistakes! Take chances!

2 Likes

I’ve never seen Beakman’s World or Mr. Wizard. D’oh!!

4 Likes

Bring a plunger!

3 Likes

I loved the goofiness of Beakman’s World. It tickled my nerdy lil’ heart. Mr Wizard was good but too formal after Beakman and Bill Nye came along.

3 Likes

But that one girl said “WICKED!” that one time.

1 Like

Language! Tsk tsk!

1 Like

Mr Wizard was so long ago for me that when I try to remember him the brain-antenna only serves up the “well… We’re WAITING” Guy from the Caddyshack Memes

Brains я weird

3 Likes

I remember that the intro to Bill Nye (before the show started) had three kids lying on the grass, staring up at a starry sky and each one says what they want to be when they grow up.

“A superhero.”
“A pro quarterback.”
“I want to be a computational fluid dynamics engineer.”

Then, the last kid gets up and starts running down the hill and the other two kids come running behind.

“Hey! Wait up!”

It was always memorable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now I totally wish there were a Ted Knight-hosted children’s science show.

3 Likes

“LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU. LET ME TURN YOUR POTATO INTO A BATTERY, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU.”

4 Likes

Now im even more confused. I thought Ted Knight was that bo-hunk guy from (maybe) Revege of the nerds and (Definitely) Married with Children. (The second Mr Darcy… im not googling him for fun)

definitely have some swiss-cheesed trivia memory

2 Likes

Ted Knight was in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Caddyshack. Ted McGinley was in Married… With Children and Revenge of the Nerds. (Hat tip: IMDb.)

4 Likes

I’m glad you pulled that from IMDb because otherwise I was going to do it from memory and look like a real loser.

2 Likes

McGinley!

I guess he just looks like a Knight…

2 Likes

My standard Ted Knight, of course, is this one:

5 Likes

I don’t know what is happening here
But I’m intrigued

2 Likes