Bill Rebane Exhibit!

For those of you who don’t happen to live in NorthCentral Wisconsin, there is big news. The Merrill Historical Society has mounted an exhibit dedicated to “one of the finest directors to ever come out out of NorthCentral Wisconsin,” our very own Bill Rebane!

For those of you not from around here, Merrill is the home of the Cosmo Theater (which is still up and running) which is featured in the night time scene where the spider is attacking the townspeople.

The exhibit is pretty nice. It was curated by a young man named Brandon Johnson, who said he has been in contact with Rebane over the past four years getting materials and stories.

Here is an overview picture:

The shooting script:

The “continuity” log:

One of the spiders:

Finally a walk around the “Great Spider”:

Brandon also created a book of many other Rebane materials, you can contact the Merrill Historical Society for. Sells for $20.

That’s enough for now, I will post more from the exhibit and book later!

16 Likes

The “CAUTION: RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL” labels all over the shooting script are a nice touch. Apropos, really.

But seriously, this is all pretty sharp stuff, thanks so much for sharing all of that with us!

9 Likes

@Bill_Coady Have you just outed yourself as another central Wisconsinite?

8 Likes

Indeed I have, but not a Merrillite – just visiting there :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is lots more, lots of other movies and a Monster A Go Go poster :slight_smile:

7 Likes

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :smiley:

Really appreciated, brother, and glad you had the opportunity to see that exhibit!

7 Likes

I need to drive to the filming locations for Giant Spider Invasion now that I can. Steven’s Point isn’t far and then, I could go to Merrill and Gleason. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’d be some sharp stuff, to be sure. And if you do decide to take such a journey, I hope you have a terrific time of it all!

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Giant Spider Invasion is such a classic Mst episode. Nice to see some love going Bill Rebane’s way!

5 Likes

Not much to see in Gleason, although there is a Mennonite bulk store there, stopped by there today.

6 Likes

Not like there’s much to see in Merrill, either.

At least Point has me.

And the Blocher Planetarium (to pander to @TeriG’s interests)

7 Likes

Oh, I wouldn’t be going there for anything but to say that I was there. :slight_smile:

Is that where the scintillating lecture was given by Barbara Hale?

2 Likes

So I am assuming there has been more than one…

3 Likes

Now, I’m not sure I know precisely where the boundaries are for North Central Wisconsin, but here’s a list of directors from Wisconsin: 14 Famous Filmmakers from Wisconsin

4 Likes

Ask Frank Conniff. It’s a riff directly from the episode. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, according to Wikipedia there was some filming in Stevens Point, so I would assume that was it.

2 Likes

The real question is: Is there a nearby Menards for a giant spider invasion of savings?

2 Likes

Alas, the closest Menards are in Wausau or Antigo. You’d have to take a trip in your furry dune buggy to get there.

1 Like

Special Hours for “Hollywood Midwest” - Bill Rebane Exhibit
Saturdays Oct. 29, Nov. 5
From 11 am to 2 pm
Thursdays Oct. 27, Nov. 3, Nov. 10
From 4 pm to 7 pm

Well, it looks like I suddenly have plans for tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing! I wouldn’t have known about this otherwise.

4 Likes

That’s ok, there’s a Menards just down the street from me anyway.

1 Like