Binge-able, weekly, monthly...? Is there a schedule/calendar for Experiments and Oddities?

Thinking about the March 4 date, and it hit me that I’ve been assuming so far that the releases would be staggered; monthly main experiment release, monthly short release (I don’t know if these are being paired with the main events), monthly live events in between those dates etc, but is there a calendar yet?

I’m not a fan of a binge-able drop of ‘all at once’, and hey we need some water-cooler talk here! so I’m hoping that every Friday or so, there’ll be a little something something to turn down the lights to, but again, I might have completly glossed over an update or meant to get back to it, and it flew by me.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen a schedule, but everything I’ve read suggests that the releases will be staggered so that there’s something happening as often as possible.

6 Likes

The only things that are confirmed is that the first movie will drop March 4, The Mask is the Hallowe’en movie and will air in October, and that The Christmas Dragon is the three host blowout that will air around Christmas. No word on the schedule for the shorts or other live events outside of the movie premieres.

3 Likes

There’s been no schedule released yet, but the idea is to have regular drops of content throughout the year. So episode watch parties, short drops, and other special events like classic watch alongs and things like the Jackbox event they did during the Kickstarter last year are all examples of live community events. I’m excited that binging is a thing of the past for new content and we can all enjoy it together!

2 Likes

Yeah, Netflix’s “ALL AT ONCE, GO GO GO” episode release system hurt MST3K more than it helped. If the show had a weekly release deal, all the fans would have been on the same page, and it would have done much more to generate/sustain buzz for the show.

All that to say this: WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREED. It’ll be something fantastic to have post-show discussions here, to have new episodes and shorts and live features to geek out about!

5 Likes

I would guess we’ll continue to see the new episodes on the first Friday of the month, and likely the premiere of a new short two weeks after that, spacing out the new material. The other weeks could have watch alongs with cast and crew, MST3K game nights, the Rifftrax event whenever that happens, and probably a smattering of other stuff.

1 Like

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who has always disliked the binge model from streaming platforms (though I certainly wouldn’t begrudge anyone who wants to watch something all at once if so desired).

I very much love the fact I’m getting fresh MST3K content sprinkled throughout the year! (Just typing that… wow!)

5 Likes

They will have to do something to double up a couple of the movies in order to get the timing to work for Hallwe’en and Christmas. Maybe the first and third Friday for the first few months for the movies, and then one movie a month and doubles on the shorts?

Who knows.

Can’t wait to find out though!

3 Likes

@LadyShelley “Double up” movies? I’ve said that for weeks. To coordinate the specials to their holidays, three months need doubling for that to work.

Def not a fan of Netflix’s model, so at least my recollection on avoiding that is solid. All else sounds about right too… thanks.

2 Likes

I do think it’s been said that the first month will see two episodes. Or did I imagine that?

They said it. March is to have two. That’s the extent of what they shared. It’s where I got my opinion. Three months x2 is what it’ll take to place The Mask 3D (1961) in October. The three x2 is simple numbers. With later admissions of Season 13 concluding in December, two more months like March seems the only answer.

1 Like