Birding and Birds

When covid hit and I started teleworking, I started looking out my home windows more and paying attention to the birds in my backyard. I bought a bird guide book and a few more feeders. Now, four years later, I get excited when my favorites return.

I use the eBird app regularly to track the species in my yard on a given day. I love Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, but I also love my regular Northern Cardinal couple.

Fellow Birders, Bird Enthusiasts, and Bird Likers: Please feel free to share your pictures, stories, advice, and exciting finds here. :eagle:

8 Likes

I had a “rare” species on my deck in Central WI yesterday. It took me a bit of research to figure out what they were: Red Crossbills. I’d never seen the kind before and it was interesting to see their crossbills in action.

My phone doesn’t take the greatest pictures when zoomed, but here is a juvenile, a female and two males:

11 Likes

I don’t trust you. You’re part of the conspiracy.

8 Likes

I love hummingbirds! Unfortunately, we don’t get any around here.

3 Likes

The hummingbirds here are a boring green. I was used to the ones in L.A. which were of different colors.

3 Likes

Don’t suppose you’ve seen any Spix’s macaws.

4 Likes

Ķirby the Cardinal says “cheep”.

9 Likes

Your link didn’t work, but I do remember going out into the back yard of the apartment building and hearing a parrot squawk and seeing a couple of them on a telephone line in the distance, but that’s it. Not sure what kind of parrot.

2 Likes

Not in person, but they are pretty!

2 Likes

Happy birthday, @wyswysia!

3 Likes

In my pre-birding days, I saw a snowy owl in the wild. Or as wild as the side of a county highway is in the prairie area near where I live. It flew up on a road sign I was approaching. I wish I had gotten a picture.

Thanks, @FlyingSquid ! - Bird- and birthday-related, I got the game Wingspan as an early present and attempted to play it with mr. wyswysia last night. It’s complicated, but the bird cards are so pretty.

5 Likes

I’m reading about the game now. It only lasts four turns, which tells me it’s way too complicated for me, but I hope you have fun with it.

2 Likes

Four rounds, with eight or fewer turns per round, so not quite that bad. We just dipped our toes in what can be done.

2 Likes

I had to take my feeders down a few years ago, and I haven’t found a good place to put them back up yet.

I still have the usual compliment of sparrows and house finches. Also chickadees, nut hatches, and juncoes. I have a flicker that’s moved into the flicker house. We’ll see if I have flicker babies later. The downy woodpeckers should be back soon. I often hear the hummingbirds in the summer, but rarely see them.

Of course, I also have red-talied hawks, sharp-shinned hawks. Cooper’s hawks, and great horned owls to keep everyone on their toes. The nice thing about the red-tails is they are large enough to take their pigeon meals to go. The others are too small to fly off with the remains of their dinners, and I’m left cleaning up pigeon bits in the yard.

4 Likes

ICYMI:

Tl;dr - North American birds named after people (e.g., Cooper’s Hawk) will be renamed soonish.

3 Likes

Around here the pigeons are mourning doves, and the sharpies think they’re tasty. We’ve also got breeding pairs of merlins around town, so the sqrls are nrvous.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a pair of red tailed hawks acting decidedly alarmed and unhawklike and then saw the bald eagle that alarmed them. That was way cool.

Pigeon Bits is a good band name.

3 Likes

I saw it. I think it’s silly, but no one cares about my opinion.

1 Like

We’ve got both. I like the cooing of the mourning doves, and I’m glad mine are back. They were over run by ring-necked doves for about ten years, but I’ve seen and heard more mourning doves of late.

3 Likes

They are very attracted to the blooms of crocosmia plants in summer. I need to try and plant some of them, as our originals passed on several years ago.

2 Likes

I love the tag “winged-potatoes” here.

5 Likes