Birding and Birds

You can get that at “Big G.” It’s just two buffalo wings set atop a hashbrown patty Potato Plank. Pretty tasty. (I always ask for the peppercorn ranch sauce with mine.)

2 Likes

A couple of days ago my husband and I were sitting on the porch and a hummingbird flew over to apparently investigate us? It hovered around us for a good 30 seconds or so, darting here and there, but it was within a couple of feet of us. They don’t normally get that close! I’m not sure what kind, but maybe Anna’s? Something with a purple chin area.

I already posted my “Great Blue Heron eating a gopher” pics here

but here’s a couple of others from my yard:

Heron in the front yard

Hawk in a redwood tree

Wild turkeys hanging out by the tree swing

Heron in flight

Momma quail and her babies at my old house

10 Likes

Last year, I bought my wife a Bird Buddy camera feeder for her birthday, and we have both enjoyed the closeup views of our various backyard birds.

Here are some interesting and amusing shots we’ve gathered from it:

10 Likes

Also, this bluebird would like to speak to your manager.

9 Likes

BLORP

9 Likes

Baby quail! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I love the pictures, @Pearls_Mint and @AdamSmith !

5 Likes

I miss the quail! We don’t get them at our current house. The old house had a big boxwood hedge and they lived under there. I always said they look like popcorn shrimp with legs.

2 Likes

If you’re wondering where daddy is, he’s up on the fence being the lookout

and then he was up on the roof

bonus blurry running baby

11 Likes

There are a couple of online bird cams that I visit from time to time.

The first is in Ohio and you will find cardinals, blue jays, grackles, woodpeckers and others frequenting the feeders there,

The second one is in South Africa, so there’s not much action there during our daytime in the US. But if you are a night owl, check it out to see an amazing variety of beautiful and exotic birds.

P.S. – Happy "Bird"day @wyswysia !

5 Likes

And if falcons are your thing, we have a couple of good cameras on nests here in the Bay Area.

Berkeley:

San Jose:

and Alcatraz:

4 Likes

Ooh, raptors are cool. I love catching glimpses of the bald eagles around here. I wish we had more types around here. And an owl. I’d like an owl nearby.

4 Likes

We have great horned owls here – I hear them a lot, and I’ve seen them twice, but I’ve never gotten a picture and don’t really expect I will.

2 Likes

It should have gone to a video of the Gorgo episode of MST3K and have it start at the host segment where a Spix’s macaw was nesting on Crow’s head. Not sure what went wrong, unless the video got yanked in the interim.

3 Likes

Well it’s about time Mr. Jay stopped being associated with those blue birds.

1 Like

The Mayo Clinic has a peregrine falcon recovery program. The livestreams of the falcon’s nests are on screens next to the cafeteria.

3 Likes

It’s been a busy morning for my feeders. First Ruby-throated Hummingbirds of the season stopped by. :grinning: Baltimore Orioles, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Northern Cardinals, Gray Catbirds, a Tufted Titmouse, a Brown Thrasher, a Downy Woodpecker, a Black-Capped Chickadee, American Goldfinches, Blue Jays, a House Finch, an American Robin, and a Mourning Dove so far.

7 Likes

The link has been corrected.

1 Like

I have no idea why this house finch would have these wispy feathers on either side of her head, but I choose to believe that bushy brows are the height of fashion in finch society.

7 Likes

I like 'em!

I liked far less disposing of the female red-winged blackbird (I think) that crashed into my (anti-collision-decal-enhanced) window today. Poor birdie.

4 Likes