Books that made you laugh SO hard

All time classic: Three Men in a Boat. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I have given away so many copies

New love: You’ll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Larkin. Oh, gods, I laughed till I cried, and I learned a lot.

2 Likes

It’s a bit dense for some people, and I didn’t make all the way through cuz the book is obviously huge, but Don Quixote genuinely made me LOL. I went into it thinking it would be too archaic to enjoy but it was just so chockfull of irony I found it very funny. I would pick it up again except I lent my copy to someone and never got it back…:thinking:

5 Likes

Wholeheartedly concur. Possibly the funniest book I’ve ever read.

For older classics, The Hunchback of Notre Dame makes me laugh to beat the band, too, though only in parts, and it’s long.

1 Like

I remember Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh had me in stitches, poor, hapless Paul Pennyfeather.

I’ll have to put Three Men in a Boat on my wishlist

1 Like

Lamb by Christopher Moore and Jenny Lawson’s books have set me off more than once.

2 Likes

Seconded for Lamb.

Also Apocalypso by Robert Rankin and the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Not to mention Douglas Adams.

But this is the book that made me laugh the hardest-

3 Likes

Nothing, and I mean nothing in the written word has made me laugh as hard and as long as the Dinner Party Scene in Lois McMaster Bujold’s A Civil Campaign. An absolute masterclass, and just when you think it’s over…

…Simon Illyan opens his mouth and it’s off to the races.

I have never laughed so hard at a book in my life.

2 Likes

The scene in A Confederacy of Dunces where Ignatius Reilly tries to help Miss Trixie up off the floor after she falls out of her desk chair is the only time I’ve ever laughed out loud while reading a novel.

I remember a looooong time ago before he was cancelled I grabbed a copy of “Without Feathers” by Woody Allen at an airport book store and was pretty much tear stained with laughter all the away across the Atlantic.

1 Like

I can’t read/watch anything from Woody Allen or Bill Cosby anymore, which is a shame, because they both were very funny in every medium, including books.

For anyone who has a Kindle … I would recommend MY book… A Fantasy/Comedy called “Boing: The Half-Ogre”.

"WE JOIN THE STORY IN MEDIAS RES… Death is having a mid-life crisis. His solution? Kill everyone and maybe learn to enjoy life again, of course. The Gods believe that he’s taking things a little too far and look for some heroes to save the world. Unfortunately the best they could come up with were Boing: the Half-Ogre, Fragdoobly the wizard, and Frog. Join three madcap companions on a witty adventure in a hilarious fantasy world. Enter a land where demons specialize in the torture style of being boring. Where rulers of the land yearn to be digested so they can experience the joys of excretion. Where goblins elect leaders based on how much they can eat, and an ogre’s most dangerous weapon is his scent. It is an epic tale which begins (and ends) in a pigsty.

For a couple bucks you can’t miss.

hitchhikersguide

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis right here.

16 Likes

Any of the Jeeves stories from P.G. Wodehouse tickle my funny bone just right.

4 Likes

d00n

1 Like

I owned that but I never read it.

BoredOfTheRings

3 Likes

It’s not a brilliantly clever parody… but I’d argue that it makes it precisely what it needed to be.

It’s very much a beer-n-pretzels sort of read, figuratively and literally.

2 Likes

Every single page is hilarious.

An example.

4 Likes

I have a copy of Cruel Shoes, and I can absolutely confirm this.

Good call, FlyingSquid!

2 Likes

Another vote for Three Men in a Boat here! Some of JKJ’s other books are enjoyable too, although the sequel to “Three Men” isn’t a personal favourite. He’s out of copyright, so you can get collections for nothing as ebooks.

The same goes for Saki and his short stories. Mostly humorous, although there are some exceptions, you can get a complete collection for pennies on Amazon or for nothing on Project Gutenberg.

Then there’s Tom Holt. I haven’t read much, but Expecting someone taller is very funny, especially if you know a little Wagner and/or Norse/Germanic mythology.

Spike Milligan’s war memoirs, especially the first three volumes, are riotous and anarchic.

The American/Canadian humorists, such as Mark Twain, S.J.Perelman or Stephen Leacock, have an absurd sensibility that you can definitely see trickling down the decades to Woody Allen’s books.

Other favourites include the dark humour of Andrey Kurkov’s Death and the Penguin and Nino Culotta’s books, starting with They’re a weird Mob, about an Italian immigrant trying to come to terms with Australia in the late Fifties and early Sixties. Culotta (aka John O’Grady) is especially good when it comes to dialogue.

3 Likes

If it’s hearty ha-has you’re looking for, this book is hard to beat!

2 Likes