Bot Building - Crow

Testors still exists, as product gets back to stores it will be more expensive, current projection is a 46% increase at minimum. Not a huge deal to me, but you’ll need 4-6 cans per bot depending on how you source paint for the smaller parts.

So my first advice is to wait. If the metallics don’t make it back, then alternatives are tough to find. There are higher end auto finishes that are very close, but you would need to have a pro apply them, it’s not the sort of thing to get into with all of the needed prep and layering/coats etc.

If you have parts, start to build and get your base color layers down. By that time, there may be some more clarity around what of the T lines are back and available etc.

The trick for many is going to be to get a sample to take for matching if they have to go that route, but remember that these metallics were formulated to be the model equivalent of real auto finishes. Better paint/retouch folks may be able to nail the look easily.

If you happen to get in with someone who is a good auto paint pro (not a hobbyist) you may even be able to talk with them about test decanting the enamel and spraying through their equipment for you. But with metal flake that is trickier and they may need to spend some paint to get the right mix.

4 Likes

Thanks Derek! I did manage to order the correct Testors stuff thanks to alex.hassel87 in this thread. 6 cans of lime gold and 3 of the red for Tom, which I am actively building. Still waiting on my Crow kit, but I wanted to be prepared.

4 Likes

No sooner do I type that reply than I get an email from the store informing me the paints are on back order until early June. D’oh!

2 Likes

Yup.

Could do some plastic primer, too, if you wanted. Maybe some wet sanding.

Runnyness depends on your spraying technique.

2 Likes

I managed to find a source that at least claims they will have six cans of the Testor’s Lime Gold Metal Flake for me by mid-September (We’ll see if they actually come through). Before finding that, I was contemplating buying a bunch of the small glass bottles of Testor’s enamel paint that are till reasonably easy to find, and mixing them with paint thinner for use in an airbrush setup based on some tutorials I found online. No idea if that would really produce desirable results, but desperate times and all that.

3 Likes

Well, still no paints from Active Powersports. Looking more and more likely that I’ll need to find alternatives, unless these paints are back in stock elsewhere.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s ok to ask, but is anyone selling a Crow?

1 Like

I’m sure it’s ‘ok-ish’; though we are asked to keep sales of ‘not really official’ items off of the forum. This seems like such a niche area right now, til official bots get created if that still goes through. Add’l is, who polices the activity if a sale goes sour?

Anyway, more useful: are you a member of the fb group on mst3k bot-building? You may have some luck over there- from time to time folks post complete bots for sale, or links to auctions, etc.

4 Likes

Minor update to this thread - I have a nearly complete collection of Crow parts now - just need the lamp for his shoulders, but I know someone who’s willing to get their lamp molded. Also a nearly complete Tom collection, but those doll hands and engine block are so darn rare, I think Bob may have the only ones of both in existence lol

4 Likes

The kit’s back up on ebay! I know what I’m doing with my next $300.

3 Likes

I’ve finally obtained a Crow kit. Can’t wait to start building him!!!

7 Likes

Hello all! My father and I are pretty close to being done with Crow and I was wondering how accurate the eye color is. My dad says it’s close enough, but I think it’s too bright and too yellow. What brands/colors do you guys recommend?

I’ve attached pictures (with as decent of lighting as I can get😅)

6 Likes

His eyes look fine. Remember, even the ones on the show were never “perfect.” So you should really just relax. :wink:

But your Crow is looking good!

4 Likes

Hard to tell if that’s the Krylon yellow, but it’s probably close enough. Since you aren’t building the earlier Crow with the Gnip Gnop eyes, then about anything in the fluorescent yellow works.

3 Likes