Breakfast Cereals

For some reason, my mom let me eat Life cereal, which was pretty good. Otherwise, it was HN Cheerio’s, and plain Rice Crispies. When I would visit my cousins, it was Froot Loops, Capn’ Crunch, and Lucky Charms. When my older cousin knew I was going to spend the night, he would hide or attempt to eat every sweet brand I liked.

When I was a little older, and had crazy room mates, we would have cereal with beer on it…depending on the brands and types you mixed, you could have some tasty mixes. I’m trying to think, but I thought Capn’ Crunch with Keystone Light was one favorite, mostly cuz Keystone was 2.99 a 12-pack.

3 Likes

I do like me some Capn Crunch, but one bowl is my limit, I like my palate intact.

6 Likes

Cap’n Crunch is great if you want to scrape the roof of your mouth raw. Like after a slice of pizza that’s too hot.

3 Likes

My dental hygenist tells me that “pizza palate” is an actual clinical term, and I hope it’s true.

5 Likes

If nothing else, it’s a great band name.

5 Likes

“How can we get kids to not eat the whole box at once? Ideas?”

“Oh! Oh! Crushed glass!”

“Brilliant, let’s tee off.”

1 Like

I do think it’d be hilarious/hideous in a quintessential U.S. way for Yuppie boxed cereals to have a free old-person toy in them. Like a cheap tiny pill-sorter or flip phone.

4 Likes

Time to revive the cheese thread. :tada:

3 Likes

I have always referred to the Cap’n Crunch aftermath as “hamburger mouth”

5 Likes

I did love Froot Loops, Super Sugar Crisp and Lucky Charms. Cap’n Crunch was and is still my fave!

4 Likes

Gonna have to stare at those boxes a while and think about my favorite, but last week I went to a Humphrey Slocombe ice cream place (I know it sounds like a law firm) and one of the topping was “corn flake crunch”, which is really just a kind of thick frosted flakes, and man I haven’t had frosted flakes in FOREVER and it was DELICIOUS

5 Likes

Frosted Flakes and Cocoa Krispies are about the only two “kids” cereals I still eat occasionally. My usual favorites are Special K with Red Berries (not sure why they can’t call them “strawberries”) and various forms of Chex, usually Rice Chex, but I do like the Chocolate Chex, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chex and Cinnamon Chex. They used to make Apple Cinnamon Chex and Blueberry Chex, but I haven’t seen either in stores in a long time, so I guess those are discontinued.

And I do like Raisin Bran once in a while, but only Kellogg’s, not Post’s version.

3 Likes

Legal won’t allow it unless they’re at least 35% strawberry.

2 Likes

My faves as a kid were probably Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruit Loops. What we mostly had was Raisin Bran or Cheerios, though I would then put like three tablespoons of white sugar on the Cheerios to make them edible.

My mom ate Grape Nuts, because she hates life.

5 Likes

I think I missed that one somehow, but the song will live in my head forever.
“Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la”

3 Likes

But have you heard it like this?

1 Like

But the box itself is kind of contradictory

So there they call them “real strawberries”. In the ingredients list they are listed as “freeze-dried strawberries”. They look like strawberries, taste like strawberries, and yet they insist upon calling them Red Berries. Odd.

3 Likes

I figured they used “red berries” so that they would be covered in case they ran into a strawberry shortage and had to substitute raspberries or something. But they specifically say strawberries a couple times as well.

Maybe they can trademark “Red Berries” in a way they can’t for “strawberries”

4 Likes

Meanwhile O-rtegas got sued out of existence by Big Taco. :frowning:

4 Likes

I hate it when that hapeeeens.

3 Likes