Breakfast food

At home I usually just have a bowl of cereal (sometimes the healthy kind and sometimes the dear God that’ll rot your teeth kind) and a mug of hot black tea.
I love the full British breakfast but can’t quite parse the point of the beans. They…have no flavor…why are they there…

4 Likes

You need something to fill in the cracks between the other things to make it a really Full English?

3 Likes

Most mornings, I eat hot oatmeal with some stuff added in. During the week, I go for quick oats with some milk mixed in, heat that up in the microwave, then put whole milk yogurt, peanut butter, and protein powder in it and mix it all together. (I started lifting in January, so I do my best to get as much protein in as possible.) Then I put whatever fruit I have around on top, usually a sliced banana.

If we have avocados around, I make avocado toast with an egg on top, with Everything But The Bagel seasoning and sriracha on top. If it’s a weekend, my husband usually makes breakfast for us both, which is more often than not bacon, scrambled eggs, and toast.

5 Likes

I usually start with a cereal bar scrunched up with lemon yogurt and honey. A cup of tea or orange juice, depending on the weater.

If the football is on I go fry up mode. Square, egg, tattie scone- the works.

4 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I’ve yet to meet a cereal/granola/whatever bar that didn’t just leave me mad at my stomach for insisting that I eat it. Those Clif bar bricks are probably the best at quieting it down and providing fuel, but who actually opts to chew up a sticky brick at 6am?

They do pack and travel well, though, and can be used as a hammer in a pinch.

4 Likes

On the other hand, if you need to cover an area in crumbs as quickly as possible, nothing even holds a candle to a Nature Valley Oats & Honey.

4 Likes

Yep… bite into 'em and watch 'em explode.

They’re good, though.

4 Likes

My guess is it’s from the beans-on-toast breakfast that many kids ate growing up. (Yum! And “Lara Croft’s favorite breakfast,” too. :grin:) The slightly sweet toMAHto sauce is the flavor. (U.K. Heinz beans are a lot like U.S. “pork and beans” with a tiny bit more flavor and without the slimy/fatty pork bits.) If the adult palette finds the beans bland: I sometimes drizzle a little Sriracha sauce over it to spice it up (esp. just on toast).

My obl. breakfast food mention (in addition to beans on toast): Toast covered with tahini and molasses. I don’t even mix the two first, as Tahin Pekmez does. Nor do I use grape molasses. I just spread a fairly thick coating of tahini to all four corners, followed by a decent drizzling of plain U.S. molasses over it all. This way is messy (beans on toast is also) so I eat it with fork & knife.

4 Likes

My British father’s breakfast was toast with Marmite. If you don’t know what Marmite is, it’s a foul-tasting black tar paste which they get from scraping out the gunk from producing beer. It’s the worst taste I’ve ever eaten. A friend once tried a tiny bit on a spoon and then grabbed a bottle of concentrated lemon juice and downed half of it to get the taste to go away.

I think it was invented on a dare.

6 Likes

Popular with British working men because it reminds one of being down in the mines.

3 Likes

I don’t eat breakfast. (Or lunch, but that’s OT).

But if I did?

Fried chicken and coffee. And some healthful cigarettes.

Of course!

/* edit…thinking more…not quite true. I have about a 8 or 12 cups of instant coffee with milk every morning. That’s sort of a food, I guess. */

/* and after work I’ll often have, if I’m hitting a bar, a big old mess of greasy spoon type fare. Eggs fried over hard, hash browns, wheat toast, bacon. Is that breakfast? Yeah, I guess. I’ll leave the philosophical question to others. */

2 Likes

I’ll call the heart police and they’ll put you under cardiac arrest

1 Like

I’m one of those weirdos who likes Marmite :yum:

4 Likes
1 Like

Depends on the day, some mornings I skip breakfast entirely, probably about once or twice a week, but I always have a cup of black coffee as soon as I am out of bed. Weekdays, I have 2 eggs over medium, and 2-3 slices of bacon, maybe with a slice of wheat toast if I am hungry enough. Saturday is usually a bagel w/ cream cheese, but that is the day I skip breakfast most often. Sunday is my favorite breakfast of the week, biscuits & sausage gravy, which is seldom skipped unless one of the ingredients has run out and I am too lazy to run to the store.

4 Likes

I still frequently whip up a pan of cinnamon rolls on a Saturday morning for cartoons.

DAV dates himself: Saturday morning is for cartoons.

5 Likes

I remember when life was innocent, and Saturday morning was filled with cartoons. Now Saturday morning is filled with yard work (at least in the summer), and the few cartoons I do watch are generally viewed late in the evening.

3 Likes

One of the most glorious phrases in the history of all TV-dom:

The 90 Minute Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show

7 Likes

I just program it myself now.

4 Likes