Britcoms

How has no one mentioned “Spaced” yet?
bigtmp_311serie

14 Likes

All good choices, and I have nothing new to add.

I have Red Dwarf and the IT Crowd on disc, so at least I can watch them when I want.

I liked Black Books.

Are You Being Served (with all those wonderful characters) was always on the air back in the day - late night on PBS, they’d show a block of them, Served, Fawlty, and others.

5 Likes

Definitely Little Britain and IT Crowd.

4 Likes

Black Books. I was very much like Bernard minus the smoking plus the drinking times the drinking.

8 Likes

I did! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Fawlty Towers gets quoted quite a bit in MST3K too, usually Crow doing his Cleese - “Yes, dear, I’m doing it dear!”, “My god you’re ugly…”, and so forth.

9 Likes

“Look just smile and nod your head when the big guy is talking but do as I say.”

“Actually, it’s the opposite.”

Underrated comedy duo.

3 Likes

Mustn’t forget, then, A Bit of Fry and Laurie

…and At Last the 1948 Show

(memorable not least for Marty Feldman in drag… it needs to be seen to be believed!)

11 Likes

D’oh. And of course the original British Whose Line is it Anyway?

8 Likes

And rightly so. I didn’t mention Fawlty Towers in my post higher up, probably because it’s a given that it’s the greatest sitcom ever.

7 Likes

So it could get darker than WWI.

I love all of Black Adder. I overstand that we sometimes do worse every generation even though our ancestors tried to leave achievements as self absorbed as their achievements were. I think Blackadder and Red Dwarf taught me the most about life of any of these shows.

4 Likes

Well if sketch shows are included, I shall have to update my list.

I recently got a DVD of At Last the 1948 Show, but it’s the inferior U.S. release with only four compilation episodes on it. I really need to get a region-free player.

3 Likes

Amazon has some pre-Python Do Not Adjust Your Set, which is incredible. And while I was looking for that, I found Still Open All Hours which is an update of an older show Open All Hours. Corner shop humor that is very old fashioned but I have loved David Jason since Count Duckula so I wanted to see him in live action and in both of these his timing is perfect.

4 Likes

If we can throw the floor open to panel games as well as sketch/variety shows, I’d add Mock the Week, Would I Lie To You?, If I Ruled the World, 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and of course QI.

5 Likes

So much great stuff here. I’m another big fan of The IT Crowd, as well as Fawlty Towers and Ab Fab. I discovered Toast of London a couple years ago and it’s terrific, just wonderfully bonkers:

I also discovered The Royle Family, quite the gem of a little-known show:

6 Likes

You don’t know me, you don’t know what I got!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder of Count Duckula! I need to add the exceedingly British show:

Danger Mouse

11 Likes

Of course DM - “he’s the strongest, he’s the quickest, he’s the best!”

6 Likes

I have so little to add here because Fawlty Towers and a Flying Circus are what I grew up watching & now IT Crowd is now one of my main go-to’s. There are a few shows you all have mentioned that I haven’t heard of, and that’s both terrible and exciting :slight_smile:

Although it doesn’t quite fit in this category as it’s a bit more of a drama, I’ve got to mention Doc Martin… the timing and utter dryness that Martin Clumes delivers is amazing

4 Likes

4 Likes