Britcoms

He was also a regular panellist on the British version of Through the Keyhole, a show notable mostly for baffling people trying to fathom where on earth Loyd Grossman’s accent originated from.

1 Like

Any mention of Loyd Grossman always brings me back to this.

2 Likes

Some of my fav Britcoms are… keeping up appearances; Waiting for God; As time goes by; Mulberry; To the manor born; Absolutely fabulous; Mr Bean; Monty Python; Fawlty towers…And so on… yes I’m a bit of an anglophile… Their shows are so much better, IMO…

2 Likes

Or they just ship over their better material. Who knows what sort of abominations they keep to themselves, never allowing to leave the home island. The evidence of their existence being destroyed by an oh so convenient magnet in the BBC tape vault.

2 Likes

Fleabag! Two perfect, raunchy seasons.

Moone Men and Derry Girls for an Irish warm fuzzy.

I’d have gotten farther than halfway through The IT Crowd if it wasn’t for the laugh track. I just can’t take those.

2 Likes

As a longstanding fan of both I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue and Just a Minute, Willie Rushton and Kenneth Williams are always a treat to hear. :smile:

1 Like

I’ve just remembered that couple of months BBC America showed reruns of QI. I got hooked just in time for them to replace it with Cash in the Attic or something. Is QI still around and streaming in the states?

EDIT: Just found 4 seasons on Tubi.

1 Like

Not a TV show, but a YouTube series… mentioning Aggers reminded me of Radio 1’s Innuendo Bingo:

1 Like

I think IT Crowd is fiendishly good, but I’m 100% with you about laugh tracks. Anything created today with a laugh track is a non-starter, but I’ve “grandfathered in” various older shows, apparently with no rhyme or reason. IT Crowd makes the cut, along with Seinfeld, MASH and a few others.

(I discovered years ago that MASH on DVD is available with or without the laugh track, and perversely, I couldn’t watch it without the track. Doubly strange because there was no studio audience there, so it really was just an added track.)

5 Likes

Somehow, they shipped over Love Island, though they kept Geordie Shore to themselves.

1 Like

charley says
demon cat, courtesy craig ferguson

1 Like

Popping back here to ask: does anyone here watch The Goes Wrong Show? It’s hilarious, especially to theater fans, and utilizes its studio audience in my favorite way possible: as an audience to an actual performance. (Like, it’s a performance in-universe.) If you know The Play That Goes Wrong, this was made by the same creative team and original UK cast.

2 Likes

I’ve watched a few of those. As someone who grew up doing community theater, it’s a pretty perfect skewering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This should cure anyone of the notion that British comedy is somehow inherently superior. We, I believe the term is ‘suck’, at it in the same proportion as anywhere else.

2 Likes

Wow. That is indeed … something. At least 6 seasons, too?

2 Likes

Possibly more. I don’t want to know!

3 Likes

However many there are I bet you could buy them with a £1500 iTunes card, assuming you haven’t given yours to the government.

4 Likes

Well if you must know I DID give mine to the UK government but JOKES ON ME because they just sold it on and used the proceeds to make more Two Pints.

3 Likes

Those bastards.

2 Likes

Oh well. Musn’t grumble and that

3 Likes