Browser Survey

Windows 10, and the Vivaldi browser (latest version 5.2.2623.24).
It works just fine.

3 Likes

Works great under Linux and Chrome(Iā€™ve also used it in Windows 10 and it works there as well). I can even control it with my phone using KDE Connect under both operating systems while Iā€™m sitting on the couch and piping the output to my TV via HDMI.

3 Likes

Iā€™m using a Chromebook, running Chrome (natch).

Most of the issues Iā€™ve had are attributable to the work-in-progress nature of the service; generally, when I have a problem, I come to the forums and see everyone is having the same problem, so at least thereā€™s some consistency there.

The one issue I seem to be uniquely having is that the system doesnā€™t remember where I left off if I leave in the middle of a movie. This happens whether Iā€™m using the virtual theater or the basic gizmoplex dot com website.

However, if I start a movie in the Roku app, stop in the middle, and switch over to my Chromebook, it does remember where I left off, so the issue seems to be unique to my Chromebook rather than a problem with the larger system.

The issue isnā€™t a dealbreaker for me, I can pretty much remember where I left off if I have to, but I wanted to add the data point.

[EDIT: Sorry, RRRob, I didnā€™t mean to reply to you in particular, I just hit the wrong Reply button.]

5 Likes

Selected other in poll #2 from having visited the virtual theater with each of the available selections (Ubuntu 18.04.XX, macOS 10.15, and Win10 19043.1586).

Selected other in poll #3 for a little of the same (checked Chrome and Firefox across the lot and Safari ā€œbecause why notā€) but I also gave things a go in Brave which wasnā€™t a listed option.

When running into issues, itā€™s usually with the Apple stuff.

5 Likes

Good suggestion. Unfortunately my laptop is one of these ultra-slim models with a limited selection of ports. I could do it, but I would need to go out and purchase a USB-C to HDMI adapter. Possible, but not really ideal. Hopefully the Chromecast aspect ratio issue will turn out to be a relatively easy fix.

3 Likes

Weirdā€¦you could do USB to video as well. Hopefully your casting thing gets sorted out! =)

3 Likes

Oops, and Netscape Navigator! :grin:

2 Likes

And Mosaicā€¦ :crazy_face:

(I actually had a paid Netscape Navigator license, once upon a time!)

4 Likes

IIRC, Brave and Vivaldi, like Microsoft Edge, are Chromium forks, so they shouldnā€™t have too many problems.

3 Likes

Youā€™re correct on both counts. It didnā€™t run into any severe issues.

6 Likes

Oddly enough Lynx was last updated in 2018, granted it would probably be a horrible way to view the Gizmoplex given its very specific ā€œlimitationsā€.

3 Likes

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT NAME

[has terrible flashbacks]

3 Likes

Obviously dates from the pre-Chrome era, but itā€™s still funny!

4 Likes

Yes. Android 11 on a 10.4" tablet. Bromite Browser. (Chromium based, but not a thieving, privacy abusingā€¦well, you get the point.)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tested it on Mac OS 12.3.1. I attempted to use Chrome, as suggested in the email, but the video bunker wouldnā€™t load at all, despite repeated attempts.

I fell back to Safari, in which nearly everything works except full-screen viewing. When I click on the full-screen button, it displays in a cut-off window (about 1/4 is visible) in the upper left.

This behavior is the same when I attempted to view via Safari on iOS 15.4.1.

3 Likes

Win 10 Firefox, aye. Zero problems.

1 Like

UGREEN makes a nice USB-C to HDMI adapter with three USB-A, one HDMI, SD and Micro SD ports. Iā€™m trying that today.

2 Likes

Amiga OS 4.1, Odyssey browser

2 Likes

Not seeing any issues so far in Chrome 100.0.4896.127 on MacBook Air. Dialogue is in synch, navigation smooth, excellent resolution and audio.

1 Like

Yes, Windows 7, Chrome.

No significant browser or platform related issues, as far as I can tell.

1 Like