Bumpers or No Bumpers?

I don’t know if anybody has already polled this question on the forums (if you have, my apologies) but one of the things that fiercely divides the MST3K fans among my friend group is the presence of the “bumpers” leading into/out of the show in Season 11.

The naysayers have argued that, since the show airs on a streaming platform and there ARE no commercials to lead into/out of, the interruptions are a pointless distraction from what they love about the show, which is… the show.

The ayesayers – among whom I count myself – have argued that, streaming platform or no, the bumpers provide a good place to pause the playback and see to your biological needs (sometimes including sleep), and the little dribs and drabs of “lore” some of them provide are a charming expansion of the show’s playground and good fodder for trivia questions and what have you.

So, whaddya think, sirs/madams/others?

• YES bumpers! I love the bumpers and the bumpers love me!
  • NO bumpers! They are a relic of the 20th century and should be left there!
  • MAYBE bumpers! I am uncomfortable with conflict and you all make good points!

0 voters

4 Likes

The episodes are also shown on other ad-supported platforms, so the bumpers make sense.

7 Likes

Kinga was trying to make it like the original show and the original show had them. So, even thought it’s on netflix, you’re supposed to pretend like you’re watching the Moon 14 channel on your local television rabbit ears.

But, get this, Joel has said something similar to your friends regarding host segments. His idea is that they keep you from the riffing, and the riffing was the thing.

Strange thing about straight to streaming TV shows even still is that they all hope to be played on television. They could be an hour long, but, mysteriously, are only 44 minutes long.

4 Likes

I like the flavor of them, but it wouldn’t bother me much either way if they were included or not in the new season.

3 Likes

Without the bumpers, how would I know that it’s “Moon 13. The Moon.”?

10 Likes

I voted maybe. They didn’t bother me to have them in the Netflix seasons, but I, dare say, would still enjoy episodes without them.

3 Likes

I like the Bumpers because I’m old.

6 Likes

The bumpers give me a good time to stop and get a snack or go for a bio break so I like 'em

3 Likes

Bumpers make learning to bowl take longer. Life in the gutter is the only way to learn.

3 Likes

:grey_question:
:confused:

Could someone please explain to Great-Great-Uncle Hodgson that we now have the ability to fast-forward?

5 Likes

I’m not sure how something which has always been a part of the show can be a distraction from … itself, I guess?

There are even door sequences and host segments in the live show. The wrapper around the movie is part of the package. I vote keep ‘em.

9 Likes

You don’t need streamers on your handlebars, but they’re still fun to have.

6 Likes

Also, the little basket with the flower on it may LOOK silly, but it’s darn practical for bringing home Toto.

7 Likes

I always liked the bumpers. I hope to see them return, along with the traditional number of host segments.

3 Likes

I have only seen two episodes broadcast on TV (Werewolf and Hamlet) and I’ve watched the rest online. I enjoy the bumpers.

3 Likes

I adored those bumpers. They helped to give the show even more of a quirky, distinct, idiosyncratic flavor.

6 Likes

Bumpers are here to stay.

2 Likes

I like them. They are like palate-cleansing sorbet.

Also, bumpers are vital to pinball, and I like pinball, so keep them in MST3K too.

4 Likes

I love the bumpers, they make it feel like real TV lol

6 Likes

They don’t bother me because that’s how I see all the old episodes now, streaming or on DVD, you still get the break (with model shots or the planet logo) that led to the commercials. Even if it pops right back to the show when watching a disc, I’m glad they remain.

Plus, with Netflix, as you said, you get the lore and the humor, it was fun. And what’s wrong with fun?

5 Likes