Burning Questions! Ask 'em here! Answer 'em here!

A burning MST3K question to get this thread up and running: Who sings the “la-la-las” in the Joel-era episodes?

Do you know the answer? Do you have your own burning question? Post it here!

Let’s set some ground rules - please quote the original question when answering. Thanks much!

7 Likes

I don’t know the answer, but the original credit was “Joel and the Joelettes”. I assumed it was Joel and the rest of the cast. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are ointments now for burning questions.

3 Likes

I thought the credit was for “Joel and the Joels” so I always assumed Joel did the backing as well.

6 Likes

I’m just curious if anyone knows for sure. Is it just Joel? Is it anyone else? The questions! They buuuurn!

2 Likes

Oh, maybe it was. I could definitely be wrong on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m pretty sure it was all Joel doing every bit of the singing, maybe with some double or triple tracking himself to get a backing group sound.

What’s super interesting to me is that the first theme song in which Joel does not have any line is 1201: Reptilicus. This is because throughout the entire Best Brains run, they kept the Joel Hodgson vocals of the Robot Roll Call and the names of the bots.

If it’s his voice introducing the Love Theme beginning with Santo, then he’s back in the theme.

9 Likes

Not a burning question, and one that had been answered, but I’d like to share the story…

At the first preview screening of Reptilicus in New York, while we were waiting for the event proper to start, Joel was up front with a microphone kinda just killing time, and said he’d answer some questions as long as they had nothing to do with the show (because those were for the post-screening Q&A).

Someone towards the front, being a funny kinda person, said “hey where’s that ten bucks you owe me?” which is a good, silly non-question to ask when it’s obvious there’s no money actually owed. Joel volleyed with the standard line “I’d gladly pay you Tuesday…” To which they noted “today is Tuesday.” And it was, indeed, a Tuesday. So Joel gave them $10. (Or at least tried to; I do recall a “I don’t really want to take your money” exchange).

If that person is reading this, please know that I think about that moment a lot. And I think Joel learned that using stock lines can come at a price.

14 Likes

This is why all comedians declare bits down on occasion. It saves us so much money.

1 Like

“Daddy, what’s Vietnam?”

“Why does it hurt when I P & Q?”

“Are we in Heaven?” :cold_face: :icecream:

3 Likes

This place is squaresville. I don’t live by your rules, man.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Well, now I have a deep burning question. What movie is that?

But I do have an MST3K question. What’s with the trilling riffs? There were a couple in Lost Continent, if I recall correctly (What’s that trilling? Maybe it’s Lionel Trilling.) And then in at least one Mike episode, there’s a similar riff (Who’s trilling out there? Kelvin? Lionel?).

3 Likes

One from my daughter: Why is he named Crow? Is he a robot crow?

I’ve always seen Crow and Tom as being bird-like robots. So what’s the deal yo?

2 Likes

Suppose they had a war and nobody came…

3 Likes

I think I remember from one of the short bits that would play on the Twitch stream that Joel got the name Crow from some song. Anyone else remember that?

5 Likes

According to this Backlot feature (@ 4:42) on ShoutFactoryTV.com, he took the name from this Jim Carroll Band song:

9 Likes

I knew it! Accurate memories 1, wrong memories… uh, I forget.

6 Likes

Mystery solved! Thank you!

5 Likes

OK, here’s one…
has anyone ever had a Big G Burger, and whatever happened to that burger joint?

4 Likes