Can a film be too goofy for riffing?

I completely agree! I’ve referenced it in several threads around the forum. My point was that it was doing such a great job of riffing itself at that moment that not much else could be added. There are plenty of other riffing opportunities in it, and I agree with the tone shift.

3 Likes

Ah, fair, there were definitely some bits that could not have materially benefited from riffing cuz they were already just bald-faced self-riffs :joy:

3 Likes

Does this count?:

5 Likes

Fried Barry

1 Like

I think we found the limit:

1 Like

Heck, this even happened with The Human Duplicators.

1 Like

We have to wonder if they’ll ever complete the trilogy with “An Impossibly Goofy Movie”…

3 Likes

I’ve long held the opinion that one movie that would be extremely hard, if not impossible to riff would be The Giant Claw. Oh they could probably riff the first thirty minutes or so, but the moment that bird comes on screen I’m convinced that anyone watching would be laughint too hard to actually get any riffs out. I’ve seen that movie five or more times and I cannot stop laughing even when I KNOW what’s coming.

2 Likes

Just because one could riff any movie doesn’t mean one should. I honestly don’t think riffing a 90’s comedy, say Dumb and Dumber or a Happy Gilmore, would work. Best case scenario it’s a hat on a hat. Also, depending on the people riffing, it’s going to get way too unkind way too fast.

2 Likes

Or A Seriously Goofy Movie, which would be a gritty drama with no jokes and lots of moody, drawn-out scenes where nobody speaks.

3 Likes

i think rifftrax doing ‘birdemic’ might be an example of this. granted, i don’t remember most of the movie because i was in shock and disbelief most of the time. but i think many of the riffs were the gang saying “BIRDEMIC” multiple times because there really wasn’t anything else to add. the movie just spoke for itself.

1 Like

*awe

1 Like

Well, do I have (good?) news for you: If the RiffTrax Kickstarter reaches 7,500 backers, they will indeed record a riff of Cats. Link to the Kickstarter campaign is in this thread: RiffTrax Live 2022 Kickstarter

2 Likes

I remember when DVDs first came out and every one had a commentary track. The best one for me was Spinal Tap because they did the commentary in character that was all ad libbed. It was like watching a sequel to Spinal Tap as they, I guess, were technically riffing. I remember being so impressed that they took something genius and made it as funny with the commentary over it.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes wouldn’t work as a riff. It’s like if they gave Coleman Francis color and the option of doing comedy, but nothing could change the fact that he was still Coleman Francis. :confused:

4 Likes

You mean a lot like Manos The Hands of Fate?

2 Likes

My favorite recurring riff on that DVD was them saying virtually every single new person shown on the screen was dead now.

3 Likes

Sometimes it can add so much to a film. My dad thought Napoleon Dynamite was unwatchable until one day he for some reason put it on with the DVD commentary and it made him howl with laughter. I don’t know what they said that made it that much funnier for him but whatever it was touched his funny-bone just right cuz now he loves the movie (even without commentary)

6 Likes

yeah similar to that. but with manos it felt more like it was just being stated while with birdemic it felt like they were emphasizing the fact that there were no birds for like 3/4 of the movie. i love me a good manos tho!

1 Like

Some kids did but I can’t prove it because it looks like the internet forgot where it was.

1 Like