Can't update my profile

I’ve been trying to update my profile—add my bio, etc. But whenever I click Save, I get an “internal server error.”

I’m on macOS Big Sur, and it happens on Safari and on Firefox. I tried it about a month ago, and again today, and got the same error.

Any thoughts?

4 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Tried with multiple browsers and keep getting the same error. Edit: I’m using Windows 10 and tried with Chrome and Edge.

5 Likes

I’m getting the “Internal Server Error” message too.

ETA: I’m using Linux Mint and Firefox.

3 Likes

Can someone who is having the problem open their browser’s Web Console (or the equivalent) and capture the messages when the save fails? This could reveal the culprit. Here’s what the console looks like on Window/Firefox.

5 Likes

I was about to suggest this as well. A screenshot of the error would be helpful; is it a browser error, like error 500, or more of a site error, like a message that’s inline with the rest of the site content? So far it’s working fine for me on Windows with Chrome; I saved changes in Preferences > Account and Preferences > Profile and both were successful.

3 Likes

I tried but it seems to work for me. No error message in the browser or in the console (Chrome Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (x86_64) for Mac)

3 Likes

Yes, I’m not having the issue either. Hopefully someone who is can post a log of the problem. I’m a bit surprised that Firefox isn’t triggering it, since the strict CORS rules they added recently broke a number of sites. (Granted, these are good rules to have in place.)

2 Likes

Well I tried. Added a test message in the text box and added a URL. I get the the changes were saved, there doesn’t appear to be a screen that let’s me see what the page would look like to others, so I assume it worked.

Win10 desktop running Chrome: Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (64-bit)

EDIT: Well I was just told I earned the Autobiographer badge thingy, so I guess it worked. Sorry not much help after all.

3 Likes

Eep. How do I do that on a Mac/Safari?

3 Likes

Having the same problemo

2 Likes

Hm, that didn’t do anything, unfortunately. Same error.

3 Likes

That’s not actually a fix, it’s just to capture the error you are getting when you try to save. There should be one or more error messages in the console after a failed save.

5 Likes

Here’s what I see in the console after a Profile Header save attempt

4 Likes

Hope these help

3 Likes

Also I noticed these under “Warnings”

2 Likes

same issue here, tested on win 10 , chrome and android chrome too. sometimes 403 error , mostly internal server error 500. does everything have to be filled in? ie instagram / twitter names and all that?

2 Likes

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business7/stylesheets/discourse-local-dates_6a273ffce3843ac2c1003caa23cfa6cafc963cd1.css.map: HTTP error: status code 200, net::ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business7/assets/application-f49eb8a94d2284db5cceaa5a0def2cbc0a3062ab6eb5e7a4c1dbba86f6ffe519.js.map: Load canceled due to load timeout

some of the error messages from the console btw

2 Likes

retried on firefox, same gist,

console errors that showed up

2 Likes

Internal Server Error 500 is telling; that typically indicates the server has a problem (vs. your browser having a problem). I see the 500 error is with a JSON file that has your username. Curious, I loaded that URL directly in my browser (replacing your username with mine), and I can see the code. Then I tried it with your username, and surprisingly I can see that too. You can try it yourself, just adjust the URL:

https://forums.mst3k.com/u/justanothermad.json
https://forums.mst3k.com/u/mccloud.json

JSON is just data at rest (not executable code), so my guess is it’s a syntax error – an unescaped value, missing opening/closing quote, something like that. I don’t immediately see an issue with your JSON file, but I haven’t gone over it byte-by-byte. Whatever is parsing the JSON is finding something it doesn’t like and choking on it.

Interesting also that I can load this file for another user – it tells me about your badges, read time, threads you started, etc. Maybe not quite a security risk but probably ideally shouldn’t be exposed. An issue for another time I suppose.

Generally speaking, a 500 error is something the developer or admins would need to troubleshoot and fix. There can be exceptions to this, but for the most part I find it holds true.

EDIT: It’s great having all these console snapshots here; they’ll be very useful to devs/admins if this ends up getting escalated.

7 Likes

im not too worried about updating the profile either way, but i do work in tech support , so kind of annoys me when things dont work as they should lol

4 Likes