Car Talk

PUPSUIT?

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

All right, I see the empty fluid reservoir.

I’m taking a wild guess and say there’s a plastic “cover” on the battery terminal that the owner/operator should have flipped up. I’n going with that.

You know, electricity and such.

/******** Oh, on the Corolla SE. Yeah, I know “Eco Mode yadda yadda.”

Cram that. Ony way to get out of first gear without fiddling with the paddle shifters (which aren’t, IMHO, all that useful or predictable in their effects, since CVT instead of discrete gears) and without almost driving the RPMs way too high is put her into “Sport” mode.

Oh well.

That’s the straight dope.

Yeah, she’ll boogie from git-fo, but it takes a long-ack time for her to get out of first. Way beyond how one would shift in your average stick shift (she’s an automatic driving a 2.0 4-cyl with the CVT tranny) ************/

/* edit, since CVT, that should be “first” rather than first gear. Whatever it is, she takes a long time cycle up through the “gears” when you need to accelerate from 0 or a pretty low speed pretty quickly, to merge or start up a hill and not risk being rear-ended by some rocket-jock maniac */

1 Like

2 Likes

I once wondered if a charlatan repair shop I had gone to had changed the length of my dipstick so I would be driving around with the incorrect amount of oil so he could trick me into going in there again.

1 Like

2 Likes

Actual conversation

Child: “Why don’t you drive here?”
Me: “I don’t have a car.”
Child: “YOU MEAN YOU’RE HOMELESS!?!”

2 Likes

2 Likes

“for women” :joy: :sob:

1 Like

Ok, I don’t know what the shoe one is. Is the car saying “stomp on the gas!”?

1 Like

I think it has to do with the brakes maybe…

1 Like

I think it’s a fuel/charge saving icon (tied to nav in some cars to predict when to begin slowing down to optimize charge/discharge/regen/MPG)?

*Slow down = take foot off of accelerator not use brakes I believe?

1 Like

Interesting… I don’t have this icon in my vehicles

1 Like

I want to say that I’ve seen it once? I think it was a german car but couldn’t say for sure?

1 Like

Fun Fact: The Dodge brothers opened their first business in my hometown - bicycles! After their reputation drove them out of Detroit, that is, but then, their reputation drove them back across the river, and they started with cars:

WHAT A BEAUT! There were still some LaMans driving around when I was a kid, and they were always a favourite, like a beautiful, dreamy boat cruising down the street.

They do the same to me when I’m pulling my wagon down the sidewalk.

I was born and raised on the back of the auto industry - my dad had a small machine shop and made car parts; another Fun Fact: Cadillac of Detroit had him build the first prototype of the seat heater for their 1998 models - they designed it, but my dad made it work. My first and only car was my beloved Aunt Ruby, a 2004 Sunfire coupe that I sold to a friend when I moved to Toronto, as part of my decision to move here was to be car-free. Now I have a Gorilla Cart for groceries and errands, with removable sides, and 800lbs capacity!:

But I still have a deep love and appreciation for these beastly machines that mesmerize me so; anyone ever go to the Woodward Dream Cruise?

4 Likes

5 Likes

All right, I’ve changed my mind.

The CVT doesn’t just suck, it also blows.

However, the drivetrain on this Toyo will rev up to 5500 RPM when in “Sport” mode for acceleration.

Something is not right there. She makes a lot of noise, though, so I guess you get something out of putting the tach almost into the red. I think it’s a bad idea, this CVT thing. Not cool, man.

But on the bright side, when using the paddle shifter to engine brake, she revs only up to about 2K RPM and slows her down to about 15 mph on a fairly steep downhill grade. Not sarcastically, that’s actually pretty good for what I want. It simulates a real transmission in that regard pretty well.

1 Like

This topic’s been quiet for a while but it seems like this is the right place to pose this question.

If you wanted something fuel efficient (ideally a gas/electric hybrid – plugin a bonus), that had a lot of interior room in the smallest possible exterior dimensions, what would you look at?

I have a 120-pound dog who’s almost 3 feet tall (floor to head with all four feet on the ground). I’d like to be able to get him, at least two adults, and some luggage into a car all at the same time. I will NOT buy a luxury brand (my current car is a used Range Rover. Sure the initial price was reasonable but $900 to replace the key fob? F that) And I don’t want a huge car. A Toyota RAV4 maybe, but a Highlander seems too big.

Anyway taking suggestions. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna I bought brand new and still drive today.
The back seats fold down to open up the back for all kinds of space. I took my late wife’s cousin, his wife, 4 kids, and a boyfriend of the eldest daughter along with 3 large suit cases and a few smaller ones to the airport and everyone and thing fit just fine. Yeah it’s a minivan but functionality for hauling (that wasn’t a truck) was priority 1 when we got it.
That would be my recommendation.

1 Like

I got a Chevy Equinox a few years ago, it is 2 inches shorter than the Malibu I traded in. It has been the perfect size for me to get the occasional large thing for the house and gets pretty good mileage. Next year they are coming out with an EV version. Pretty sure a dog the size mentioned would fit in the back.

2 Likes