Changes in the MST3K Twitch channel

Hello fellow Mysties,

Does anyone know has there happened some changes to the MST3K Twitch-channel recently?

I have been trying to go to the channel for some weeks now and i keep getting message “Premium content is not available in your area.”

Has the channel switched to paid subscription only or has my “area” (Finland) recently fallen under Dr Forrester evil experiment or something?

3 Likes

Hi Arto,
I’m watching in the UK, or I should say I was watching. I’ve been getting the same error for a couple of weeks. The same blocked message comes up for Shout Factory channel as well but that was never previously viewable.

3 Likes

Hi,

Australian here. I’ve been getting the same message. I’m assuming that it was switched to US only or something like that. Not sure why though.

2 Likes

Maybe they found out that they didn’t have streaming rights for those movies in every country.

2 Likes

I’m in the States, I can get the MST twitch to work if I turn off my VPN (I then turn it right back on again). Strangely, I don’t have this issue with David Hewlett’s Twitch, so it must be something specific to the MST one.

They are blocking VPNs. here is a work-a-round, there are some more.
https://www.websitetalkingheads.com/mst3k.php

1 Like

Hi. Person behind a VPN here. Main Twitch channel works as expected.

2 Likes

Same issue here, also in the UK. Fingers crossed this won’t be an issue for S13 :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Well, when I try with either of the 2 VPNs I use I am blocked. A couple of people I know are also blocked when using a VPN. The moderator on the channel said it is working as intended.
Guess you have a VPN they don’t recognize.

1 Like

If, by “don’t recognize”, this meant “curated list of paid VPN services” then yes. Ideally, any VPN doing its job shouldn’t be something that is “recognized” but the paid, public services flush that down the toilet.

To those of you overseas: do any of you use a VPN (public, private, or otherwise) to masquerade your geographic location?

3 Likes

In the UK, same deal. I assume it’s a rights issue, which is annoying. Someone discovered that you can watch it through the Shout Factory website (https://shoutfactorytvlive.com/mst3k-thetatv). Not the best option if you watch it on another device, though.

Apologies if that link’s not allowed. I figured it’s ok since it’s Shout Factory.

I can contribute´nt to this post by stating Mexico is out as well, till this very day

True. Using any of my three (yes, 3—cheap lifetime deals on two of them) paid, LEGITIMATE VPNs results in:
“A proxy or unblocker has been detected. This premium content will not be available to you while it is in use. (Error #3)”

Thanks Twits!

1 Like