Changing forum name—possible?

I’ve decided my user name here is a little boring and would like to change it. Is there a way to do this? I tried searching but could not find a post about it.

2 Likes

Discourse doesn’t support individual users changing usernames themselves. TL;DR: you’ll want to reach out to a moderator/admin to do it for you.

When a user signs up, there’s a small window of time where they can change it. It’s a ticking clock ( username change period) and its default setting is three days. Changing your username wrecks the history of @s and linkbacks that have happened in the forum’s history because… Discourse design decisions… and it’s something they haven’t really shown interest in retooling.

username change period could be set to an absurdly high number. Admin’s call on that.

2 Likes

When I first signed up I was too eager to get going and used my boring real name. @Lesley, our Queen and Raisin Snail, was kind enough to change it for me. Since there are thousands more users now I don’t know if she’s got time for that but you could try.

2 Likes

Wow. Glad I’m not in charge of this a forum! :face_with_peeking_eye: Maybe I’ll just leave it alone. Don’t want to create more work for anyone.

Thanks for that—yeah at this point I may just be adding to a pile of similar requests. If they’re cool with it, I’d appreciate it, but I don’t want to make anyone work any later than they already do. (Been there, don’t want to make anyone else do that!)

1 Like

Well, I like it. It makes my brain say “nnnnnnnPete,” which it finds funny.

1 Like

Try sending a direct message to @Lesley and just say what you said here. Won’t hurt (much) to ask! :slight_smile:

I do think npete is a fine name too, short but memorable.

1 Like

Haha, that’s good to know! I’ve been using PeteyNix in more and more places and while it’s more to type I think it’s more fun. It’s also more like my real name (Pete Nicholls). But I definitely appreciate your take!

Aw thanks! It’s just so utilitarian to me. I came up with Petey Nix which is my idea of a cockney rhyming slang take on my real name. Kinda sounds like the name of someone from an alternate reality, to me. :sweat_smile:

I definitely will DM her and just ask her to get to it when she gets to it.

1 Like