Character Actors Galore!

Nope Bruce McGill will always be Jack Dalton.

5 Likes

James Karen over 200 credits according to IMDB. Here he is as the greedy real estate developer in Poltergeist.

Also, if you love character actors, I’d recommend listening to Gilbert Gottfried’s (R.I.P.) Amazing Colossal Podcast. Gil loved character actors, they talked about them all the time, and had many of them as guests.

4 Likes

Stephen Tobolowsky. From Groundhog Day to Spaceballs and even Sneakers, definitely one that should be on the list. Am I right or am I right or am I right?

Also had a story to tell working with Steven Seagal in The Glimmer Man.

4 Likes

You so right. He is one of those guys you think of.

2 Likes

So,

Cameron Mitchell?

Character actor or an actor who could play characters?

4 Likes

Both?

1 Like

Since we’ve already mentioned John McIntire and his son Tim, time to bring in John’s wife - Tim’s mom, Jeanette Nolan. Great in pretty much everything.

5 Likes

I’m watching Cocaine Bear and hey, there’s character actor Margo Martindale, and hey, there’s character actor Isiah Whitlock Jr.

OIP

Is this going to happen with every movie I watch from now on? Spot the character actor, lol -

9 Likes

Cocaine Bear was also a reunion between Isiah Whitlock Jr. and the late Ray Liotta. Remember Isiah was the Doctor in Goodfellas who checked Henry Hill out while he was driving here, there, and everywhere.

3 Likes

Margo Martindale is a national freaking treasure, and don’t trust anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

5 Likes

I was less into Bojack Horseman than a lot of people, but she was perfection in it.

4 Likes

Mmhmm. And doubly perfection in Justified. That Emmy win was EARNED and DESERVED.

2 Likes

We are this far into a thread about character actors and no one has mentioned James Hong!!

His credits go back to the 1950s and he is still working at the age of 94.

8 Likes

The great Lo Pan is no mere character actor! He is like nothing you can imagine.

3 Likes

Since we’ve now mentioned both James Hong and Alan Arkin, I gotta say that Hong giving the airline safety talk in The In-Laws is one of the funniest things in an extremely hilarious movie.

4 Likes

I must be weird. When I sought it out based solely on its reputation, I found it painfully unfunny. I should try watching it again. It left me cold 10 years ago. Comedy is so subjective.

It’s one of two movies that I turn to when I need severe cheering up (the other is Galaxy Quest)

But yeah, we all have different senses of humor. I confess that I’ve never found Monty Python funny, although most fans think I should.

1 Like

Stephen Root as Jimmy James, Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

6 Likes

I’ll give a shout-out to Clu Gulager here. He was great so many roles!

5 Likes

A man in everything. The Killers (1964), The Last Picture Show (1971), McQ (1974), The Other Side of Midnight (1977), Into the Night (1985), The Return of the Living Dead (1985), A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985), The Hidden (1987), Uninvited (1988), Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019). 50 years in pictures and TV.

4 Likes