Cheese!

We all love cheesy movies, but what is your favorite kind of cheese?

I’m a colby man, myself.

7 Likes

This is tough as, to me, cheese, like so many other things in life, depends on context. However, if I had to choose one, I’ll go with a sharp cheddar, please.

7 Likes

I’m boring when it comes to cheese. Mild cheddar.

I’ll eat many other kinds, but that’s my go-to.

3 Likes

There’s only one cheese I like: mozzarella.
The rest are too bitter.

4 Likes

Smoked gouda. It is the bacon of cheeses.

9 Likes

You monster, that’s like asking which is your favourite MST3K experiment! But, since I’m here…

• Morbier - stinky semi-soft
  • Taleggio - stinky soft
  • Swaledale - white, crumbly and good with fruit cake or Christmas pudding
  • Yarg - see Swaledale, only wrapped in nettles
  • Havarti - rich, creamy and a good melter
  • Cashel Blue - a blue cheese soft enough to spread
  • Blue Wensleydale - I prefer it to Stilton
  • A really good well-aged Cheddar - not the bright yellow plastic bricks you find all too often in supermarkets
  • Smoked Cuddy’s Cave - lovely stuff from the English/Scottish border

I haven’t tried Blue Brain yet - https://www.caldercheesehouse.co.uk/product-page/blue-brain - because when I went to the stall selling it, there was a Customer From Hell in front of me who was clearly just there to waste time. I went round the market and came back 20 minutes later and she was still there. Next time, then.

10 Likes

I have widely varied tastes when it comes to cheese. I love Emmenthal, but I also like Pasteurized Processed American Cheese Food Substance.

5 Likes

Move to make Garth-Vader chair of the MST Discourse 3000 Fromagerie Committee!

5 Likes

Fancy cheese: Camembert. It’s like butter. Literally, it’s like eating an especially thick and creamy butter.

Regular cheese, cold: I usually go for provolone, goes well on any cold sandwich.

Regular cheese, hot: Kraft singles are the only acceptable cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich.

6 Likes

If we are picking one kind it’s sharp cheddar. Specifically Kerry Gold 2 year reserve. So. Good. In general I’m a very picky eater, but when it comes to cheese, I’m pretty open, but it MUST be high quality. Except Kraft American cheese. No American cheese is high quality, but Kraft american is good.

5 Likes

That would make the best marketing slogan!

7 Likes

I’ve been known to spend an hour browsing the cheese department at the Dekalb Farmer’s Market, so my answer is pretty much “yes.” Love a good sharp cheddar (Old Croc Extra Sharp is a winner) and goats milk cream cheese … and all things Swiss and Swiss-adjacent … and the gamut of hard Italian cheeses … and all sorts of those salty, unmeltable white quesos … and Reaper jack … and …

6 Likes

I’m a big fan of Beecher’s Flagship Reserve for a cheddar; Morbier and Taleggio when I want the funk; Prairie Fruits Farm chevre for a fresh goat cheese; a sharp, briny Feta for salads; and smoked just-about-anything for melts/snacks/general face-stuffing :smile: Real Parmigiano Reggiano, Camembert, and fresh mozzarella (buffalo or regular) are always welcome. And a simple pepperjack is one of my guilty pleasures :wink:

6 Likes

I love that one too.

5 Likes

Honestly, it depends on what the meal/food is that I’m having?

Boar’s Head Pepper Jack is a favorite ingredient in my cheesy garlic biscuits, on burgers, and melted on homemade Italian bread w/ some garlic?

Fresh mozzarella on pizza and wrapped up in roasted sweet peppers as a snack?

Fontina mixed into heavy cream and roasted garlic as a sauce for pizza, pasta…

Damnit, now I’m hungry and I just finished eating dinner.

3 Likes

I prefer pepperjack.

4 Likes

Horseradish Jack.

There’s nothing in the world quite like that horseradish-y zing.

5 Likes

Boar’s Head makes a marvelous horseradish (white) cheddar.

6 Likes

Oh, nice! I’ll have to keep that in mind. Thanks so much for the recommendation, @MichaelRobertson!

4 Likes

Well typical sliced cheese I can’t go wrong with cheddar but I have a long term obsession with goat cheese.

3 Likes